Ideal Flock

team_realtree

Songster
14 Years
Jun 28, 2009
what would be a good start for me? I want to breed so a roo somewhere in there and i want as little hens as possible. I want to have grown my flock not bought it. I need advise on how to start with room to grow max coop of 10 mature birds.

I am not sure I completely understand your objective.

One rooster will service a large number of hens (say 10 to 15). If you have a very aggressive rooster with fewer hens, the hens will get raked (and maybe die).

If you want to start a breeding flock, you need a quality rooster and some quality hens. Keep breeds separate.

How big of an operation are you contemplating?

Cindy

I think I'm understanding your question,

You want to breed your own line from a few hens and a single roo, and bredd from there to meet your objective?

Thing is, each person can want something different from thier flock, so are you breeding for show, eggs, meat, egge & meat or ?

Generally if you are buying chicks you'll need to order 25 (which is fine, gives you a chance to pick the best, instead of only buying 10 and getting whatever you're sent).

So what's the end goal?

the end goal is the satisfaction of my flock growing! I want a flock that can breed but i dont want like 20 chickens.

Why not start out with 1 roo and 3-5 hens. After you get some chicks you want to keep, you can always sell a couple of the original hens and/or the roo.

That is what I did with my Blue Ameraucanas. I bought an adult trio, hatched out 25-30 chicks and will create a new flock of one roo and 5-6 hens from the chicks. I just resold the adult trio. This way my blues will all be ones that I raised.

Last edited:
SunAngel understands, as do I. MY end goal is about 10 as well. I am starting with one roo and 5 hens, and I actually will probably sell one or two of my current hens eventually to allow for more variety in my remaining hens and for a few of the offspring they produce eventually leading me up to 10. I can actually house around 12 birds, but dont want to push my luck especially when I may try to add another rooster so I'm sticking with 10 as my number. If I were you I'd go 1 roo and maybe 4 hens to start. Good luck!

What is the best way to start? Small
10 hens is about right so you are part way there already. 1 cock will be enough.

In the end, it is the same for everyone: you have some hens and a rooster, they breed.... your flock grows.

Now in between all that, there are a great many details.
Coop size is generally given as 4 sq ft/bird of floor space. That is sufficient if they are outside most of the time - as they should be. The coop is for roosting and nesting, mainly.

Outside space should be bigger than you think. 50-100 sq feet per bird.
The exterior living environment you create for your flock is where you want to sink the majority of your resources.

I am not a big fan of rampant "free ranging," as most people hardly understand the true nature of the practice.
I suggest range managment as part of paddock rearing, instead, where the birds are treated similar to other livestock - living in a controlled environment. With 10-15 birds this is fairly well managed without a lot of cost or effort.

Just use common sense, and avoid overcrowding. That is RULE NUMBER ONE. Overcrowding is the largest problem people have... and they often dont know it.
Along with this, keep the birds well fed, give them fresh water, keep them very clean and free of mud and dampness.

Do these things and you will go a long way to a great start.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom