Ideal Hatchery review

Beautiful small town square.

Nice carry home container.

30 healthy, happy BB Red OE Bantams.

10 silver & gold duckwing OE bantams.

Waited 48 hours to post in reviews. I am happy with chicks and whole experience.

I've had two orders so far from Ideal and I'm pleased with both. I have not lost a single chick from the ones sent. I ordered 25 feather legged bantams (several frizzled, 1 or 2 d'uccles, 3 or 4 brahma, rest cochins, no silkies which was bummer) They sent 30. Then on a different order was 12 sultans, 3 LF brahma pullet assorted and 5 pullet assortment. they did goof and say they sent a buff orpington when I think it's really a broiler chicken since it's about 3x the size now of the sultans and waddles around, not buff but white feathers.

I'm still really pleased with the health of the chicks and over all quality I'm seeing so far in what I bought. The sultans could have had a higher "dome" but they are hatchery chicks after all. The sultans do have some missing toenails but I actually expected that. I'll definitely order again as you can't beat their prices or their cheap shipping.

I was NOT pleased with Ideal Hatchery. I ordered 5 ducks, 1 Pekin, 2 Cayuga and 2 Blue Swedish, all hens and I stressed that I didn't want crested ducks. We drove 100 miles to get the birds in the driving rain, boy was it terrible! Anyway, I was and am a beginner at ducks and didn't know what I was looking at when I checked the birds before we left. What I GOT was 1 jumbo Pekin (Boy, is she huge!), 2 CRESTED Cayuga and 2 BLACK Swedish. They did get the sex right, I guess I should be happy!!

Since they are pets I'm not really concerned but I did contact them by e-mail and didn't even receive a return reply. I guess they don't care! I will never order from them again. Terrible experience!!!

So I guess if you don't care what breed you get, they are good, if it matters, go somewhere else.

Good luck!
M

I just want to post and say that I am really happy with Ideal Hatchery.
I ordered my chicks on Monday june 27 And they were shipped the next day, which was really surprising as usually you have to wait a couple of weeks with some hatcheries, Im guessing they were just hatching a lot of chicks this week.
Anyways, I ordered 25 Easter Egger pullets, 2 Ideal 236 and 1 Easter Egger Rooster. I got my shipment Today June 30, was kind of worried as it's been quite hot lately and was worried that the chicks might suffocate on route in the post office truck. But when I went to pick them up this morning I opened the box and they were all alive. I quickly gave them some electrolytes a some chick starter.
They are doing great so far.
I do have to say though I was surprised at how a lot of the EE's look, there is quite a few with a small beard or almost no beard, which is a bummer since I love birds with beards, but I guess that's to be expected since they are not Ameraucanas but a mix of them. I did ordered some Easter Egger chicks from Cackle Hatchery a few years back and those chicks had a big beard all of them so if you are looking for EE's with big beards maybe try Cackle instead.
They do all seem to have a pea comb though so that is good, hopefully most of them will lay green shaded eggs.
And also I was hoping they would put in some packing peanuts haha, was expecting a few roosters so that I could raise and eat. But no packing peanuts, I ordered 28 and I got 28 live chicks so that's all that matters at the end.
So all in all I had a good experience with Ideal, I would recommend them, prices are pretty good and shipping charges are also cheaper the other hatcheries.

I ordered 50 buff orp. From ideal I got 49 alive chicks n 1 dead chicks when I went pick up at post office and I also notice 1 chick had no eyes so it died

We ordered the 25 "Surprise Special" and received 27,including a Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock, Black Australorps, funny, two solid black faces-adorable, several two toned yellow- beautiful and several pale yellow big chicks, extremely sweet and some that looked like Barred Rock appear to have yellow stroked on their feathers-little fluffs:)!! All of them healthy and customer service fantastic, so we are very happy and our only regret is we should have gotten the bantam mix earlier that they offer, too:)!! We immediately had to move them to a bigger brooder box:)!
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
I've looked at their site and found their shipping costs a little confusing. I know I would pay the small order charge, but I was wondering what it actually cost to have the chicks shipped. Would you mind sharing? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom