Ideal Hatchery review

Just call and ask, they are very helpful:)! For our order of 25 it was $7.00 for small/min ordered and $3.95? Postage if I remember that right. Very reasonable:)! We are in Alabama:). Maybe it is just me, but those little wings remind me of tiny angel wings, beyond cuteness:)!

Last edited:
Wow, that is very reasonable. I will definitely contact them the next time we are interested in ordering chicks. Thanks.

AmieD, It is:)! And they have been having broilers $1.00 a piece and the Banty Special was .99 a piece:)! The "Surprise Special" we have were $1.15 a piece:)! If you go to their website they will send you alerts for when they have a special:)! The prices are always very reasonable and the chicks were very robust:)! Good luck with your chicks:)!

Thanks, again. I will sign up for their alerts. I've ordered from Cackle Hatchery and My Pet Chicken and the shipping was the most expensive part.
Your chicks are so cute. Do you know what kinds you have or is it a total surprise where you have to wait and see?

Well, I hoped for and mentioned when I called for a Rhode Island Red and a Barred Rock Cockeral and that I would like to get some Delaware's in the spring. Then I asked what I might get this time of the year and that I liked pretty much anything that peeped:). She told me this time of the year they had a mix, some brown egg layers, Black Australorps, Americauna/Easter Egger (I think)? and broilers, and she would make a note to the Packers about what I was hoping for:)! Well, she did, because on the outside of my box was a label with a note that mentioned I wold really love a Rhose Island Red male and a Barred Rock male:)! So, when I opened the box I was so excited to see the one sweet red Rhode Island Red (praying he is a he) and several Barred Rock with yellow dots on their heads, several Black Australorps, beautiful black and yellow with little yellow flecks around their eyes and that are like rolling thumper marbles or clowns all popping out of a car at the circus, they are zipping everywhere (very excited because after she mentioned them I read that they are great layers of brown eggs and docile, gentle and really beautiful black chickens, kind of fluffy and shiny with I think some green sheen?), there were also two solid black faced chicks that I am not quite sure about, but am thrilled with, very bright eyed, several light yellow chicks, possibly Cornish or Leghorn that are so sweet or ?, several two toned butterscotch yellow and light yellow chicks that I am unsure of ? but are beautiful and very calm:)! I am very pleased and can't wait to see what is what:)! They are all very healthy and the Black Australorps are already jumping to the edge of the brooder and watching over things, too cute:)! Our Grandson was in love with his and Maw Maw's "peeps" and now we have another generation of chicken lovers:)! My Daughter-In-Lovely and son are building a coop for some this spring and I have a feeling it will be either Rhode Island Reds, they are such faithful layers and such great pets for children or the "gentle and docile" Black Australorps (checking them out-lol, so far they are looking very kid friendly and full of personality:)! Hmm, maybe both, she is a baker and could use lots of farm raised fresh eggs:)!

Last edited:
Well, I just called and placed an order for 3 Pekin ducks, 3 brown leghorns, and a heating pack (to avoid having them pack my box with little roos), and including shipping, it will be $39! It was $45 just for shipping from other hatcheries. My order will ship on 1/18, so I can't comment on the birds yet, but I'm really excited. They are running a bantam special right now for 90 cents each. I don't need any, but thought I'd mention it. The customer service was great.

Quick question,
I am considering ordering a small mix of chicks from them. I plan to pick them up, however was wondering if anyone has picked them up and gotten packing peanuts?
Do they automatically include packing peanuts in a pick-up order?
I don't mind if they do, just curious if I order 10, will I need to plan on getting 14 or more?

I'm not sure, but I would go ahead and call and ask. When I placed my order, due to ship 1/18, they customer service person was so helpful and answered my every question. I did not want extra roos, since I already have several, so I paid an extra $3 for a heating pack.

I placed an order for 3 ducklings and 8 chicks and was very disappointed. One duckling was dead and almost all of the chicks were weak and had their eyes closed. Although I ordered one, a heating pack was not in the box! I think this is the reason they were all in such bad shape. They were so cold that I actually put them in an incubator that I had built to quickly warm them. The chicks all have their eyes open now, are back in the brooder, and have started walking around. I hope they all make it. I think it was just a shipping error, granted a terrible mistake, but depending on how they respond to my email, I may try another order with them.

Back
Top Bottom