Ideal number for a backyard flock

Kat_withducks

Chirping
Jun 12, 2020
Hi all, I know there isn't a clear answer, but I'm curious if anytime has an opinion.

We live in the city and currently have two Welsh harlequin females. They have a 4x8 coop, a 40 gallon stock tank and a 20x20 yard just for them. They are right off our deck so we engage with then all the time.

They make a lot of noise. I know ducks make noise, that's ok, but they are loud. I can't help but wonder if they don't feel secure - I've planted tall grasses for them to lie under, I put a bench in their yard for them to nap under, and they have access to their coop all day (but rarely go in it).

So my question is, for those of you with small flocks, have you found that two is just too few ducks for them to feel comfortable? Do they need a few more to really feel the comfort off a flock? Or is two fine and it's just luck of the draw that we got super loud quackers?

I also have a super huge duck palace. My ducks have a giant room in a barn and a 30x30 aviary. They get supervised foraging walks daily. I had 6 ducks, and over 5 years 3 passed away due to medical issues and I have 3 remaining. The 1 quiet duck is still quiet. She always has been. The medium loud duck quacks moderately, she always has regardless of how many has been in our flock. And our outrageously loud shout quacker shout quacks all day and always has. In my experience it really hasn't mattered if we have had 3 ducks or 6. Some ducks are more quiet and some are crazy loud. Thankfully we live in the country and our neighbors are cool with it!

Isn't my shout quacker all sweet and innocent?

Attachments

• D557EF95-65C9-4CBC-906F-420C97326DED.jpeg
    D557EF95-65C9-4CBC-906F-420C97326DED.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 40
That is a very interesting question. We have a small young flock of 12 ducks and 4 chickens who seem to get along together for the most part, they all grew up together. Soon to separate them to meet their individual needs.

IMO, room is a factor and how much spare time do you have during the day to tend to a large flock to meet everyone's needs to keep them all healthy and happy.

IMO, two is to few in case something happens to one and Drake to Hen ratio is the other concern with a small flock. Either all Hens or Drakes to keep from having mating issues.

I also have a super huge duck palace. My ducks have a giant room in a barn and a 30x30 aviary. They get supervised foraging walks daily. I had 6 ducks, and over 5 years 3 passed away due to medical issues and I have 3 remaining. The 1 quiet duck is still quiet. She always has been. The medium loud duck quacks moderately, she always has regardless of how many has been in our flock. And our outrageously loud shout quacker shout quacks all day and always has. In my experience it really hasn't mattered if we have had 3 ducks or 6. Some ducks are more quiet and some are crazy loud. Thankfully we live in the country and our neighbors are cool with it!

Isn't my shout quacker all sweet and innocent?
Do you have any pictures of your aviary? I would love to see it!

Do you have any pictures of your aviary? I would love to see it!
I ran out and took one just now! The ducks are highly offended that I went outside and didn't take them for a walk. Lol.

The walls and roof are made from dog kennel like fencing, but I recently became worried about weasels, so we are wrapping the entire thing in hardware cloth. We've never had a predator attack, and I plan on keeping it that way. But at the moment it doesn't look as nice as usual because of the project.

Attachments

• 705D6C43-4406-47C6-B4BD-92751CCF7500.jpeg
    705D6C43-4406-47C6-B4BD-92751CCF7500.jpeg
    990.8 KB · Views: 42
I ran out and took one just now! The ducks are highly offended that I went outside and didn't take them for a walk. Lol.

The walls and roof are made from dog kennel like fencing, but I recently became worried about weasels, so we are wrapping the entire thing in hardware cloth. We've never had a predator attack, and I plan on keeping it that way. But at the moment it doesn't look as nice as usual because of the project.
Very nice! Your ducks are living the dream!

i would get two more ducks, i think you should have atleast three. that way if something happens to one the others have each other

I'm jealous right now! I have been trying to talk my husband into building at least one aviary that is big enough for ducklings so they can have more outdoor time and I don't have to worry about them being a drive-thru snack for the hawks😬

Back
Top Bottom