Ideal number for a backyard flock

Thanks everyone! We had a third duckling but she died at a few weeks old, RIP Stripes. I've also worried about the impact on one duck if one died. We have a bonded pair of rabbits and have the same concern.

It's good to know that their personalities are what they are. I'm leaning towards adding two more, not sure how doable that is now, but I'll look into it. I do want to buy sexed ducks so we minimize the risk of a drake.

And because who here doesn't like a duck photo, i've attached a photo of Rhubarb and Custard 🙂
335617AF-933E-4834-9380-DD2442EA2648.jpeg

I would personally aim for 3 or 4 (sexed) just to have a back-up in case i lost one and because when you've already got two, whats just a few more?

Ive heard welsh harleys are among the louder/more talkative breeds. if you wanted to keep the noise down and add a few more pals you could go for a different breed thats known for being quieter.

I would personally aim for 3 or 4 (sexed) just to have a back-up in case i lost one and because when you've already got two, whats just a few more?

Ive heard welsh harleys are among the louder/more talkative breeds. if you wanted to keep the noise down and add a few more pals you could go for a different breed thats known for being quieter.
I've been thinking this exactly - we got Welsh harlequins in part because I read they were among the calmer breeds, but it seems lots of people have loud / high strung ones. Do you have any recommendations for a small or medium size duck that is known to be calmer? I get it's still ultimately up to the personality of the duck, but everything helps!

I've been thinking this exactly - we got Welsh harlequins in part because I read they were among the calmer breeds, but it seems lots of people have loud / high strung ones. Do you have any recommendations for a small or medium size duck that is known to be calmer? I get it's still ultimately up to the personality of the duck, but everything helps!

I'm not super versed on breeds - I know from having had them that Pekins can be quite loud and chatty as well (my two only really piped up when they were distressed/wanted attention, but extra ducks mightve made them more talkative. Other folks find their Pekins to be loud mouths) and I've heard muscovies tend to be more quiet. I know that smaller doesnt equate to less noisy - I'd personally stick to breeds in the same weight class in case the harleys decide to be little bullies to the newcomers. Ducks dont take the pecking order as seriously as chickens do but they can be opinionated

My quietest and most friendly ducks are my silver appleyards, my golden cascade, and my saxony. I got them all from Holderreads. My welsh harliquins will scream quack at us and our pekins will give a loud honk when they think we're taking too long but my SA, GC, and Saxony girls will just sit patiently when I'm cleaning up and then waddle over quietly for nibbles when they think I might have treats. I love them. Holderreads might still have adults available for fall but I would say to check out craigslist for some ducks the same age as your other girls.

Thanks everyone! We had a third duckling but she died at a few weeks old, RIP Stripes. I've also worried about the impact on one duck if one died. We have a bonded pair of rabbits and have the same concern.

It's good to know that their personalities are what they are. I'm leaning towards adding two more, not sure how doable that is now, but I'll look into it. I do want to buy sexed ducks so we minimize the risk of a drake.

And because who here doesn't like a duck photo, i've attached a photo of Rhubarb and Custard 🙂View attachment 2339545
They are beautiful ducks! Awesome coloring!

Hmmm... I'm gonna go with if they aren't getting separated from each other (even just a few feet) then it's just a personality thing. I have one girl that makes almost no noise. She does this wacka-wacka thing that is the most adorable duck noise ever - it almost sounds like she's saying duck- a-duck-a-duck. It's not loud either. I had a runner that almost never made a noise - but when she did it was absolutely ear piercing. Personality definitely plays a part. I would say my runners are generally quieter but I did have one that would never shut up. Annoyingly so.
I've had quiet and loud welsh... too. If you WANT to get another duck, try a juvenile so you can get an idea of their personality prior to introduction, but 2 is fine if you are not worried.

Beware, they tend to accumulate all on their own, we started with 5 now up to 8, incant say 8 is any bigger deal than 5 was, everything increases some from food to mess, but its no harder to handle. I guess my point is don’t max yourself out, you are bound to end up with more as time goes on.

Back
Top Bottom