Ideal Poultry New Olive Eggers

Out with the chicks today and I noticed that little Hazel, the OEs new name, is developing what looks like orange and dark brown, almost spangled patterned, feathers. Interesting that all three of the ones that I had were so similar considering they are half Easter Egger with fairly endless possibilities of feather color genetics.
I can only assume that they use Easter Egger roosters, with known blue egg genetics, over Barnevelder hens to create them.šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
BFB624AD-F5B0-4343-879B-8C7488F09DAF.jpeg

Does anyone out there have the new ā€œOlive Eggersā€ from Ideal Poultry? They are half Barnevelder and half Easter Egger. Just picked up three from a local seller who had some shipped over to the Big Island.
They look a lot like Barnevelders but they have little muffs and beards. At least two of the three that I bought do. Looks like two of them have pea combs at this age, and one has a modified pea comb, will likely all have modified pea combs as they mature. Their coloring is very uniform between all three of them despite being half Easter Egger.
Iā€™m keeping one and the other two are going to a friend. Wondering if anybody has any of these as adults and what they look like, what kind of eggs youā€™re getting and what is their egg production? Just curious. Theyā€™re actually very cute. These guys are two weeks old today.šŸ˜ŠView attachment 3231167View attachment 3231168View attachment 3231170View attachment 3231171View attachment 3231172View attachment 3231169
I didn't get the olive eggers from ideal because the hatch dates wouldn't align. What I did get was 6 EEs, some gl wyandottes and some polish chicks. These EEs look very similar to your OE! These EEs look nothing like the others I have. In the mix, I got a scissor beak Goliath sized EE and a Wyandotte with a single comb. Also one of my polish bantams is missing the end of its middle toes but otherwise seems fine. I don't know what to think of this order šŸ¤£

Out with the chicks today and I noticed that little Hazel, the OEs new name, is developing what looks like orange and dark brown, almost spangled patterned, feathers. Interesting that all three of the ones that I had were so similar considering they are half Easter Egger with fairly endless possibilities of feather color genetics.
I can only assume that they use Easter Egger roosters, with known blue egg genetics, over Barnevelder hens to create them.šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļøView attachment 3240507
I can't wait to see her grow up, I'm so curious to see what the end result will be!

I didn't get the olive eggers from ideal because the hatch dates wouldn't align. What I did get was 6 EEs, some gl wyandottes and some polish chicks. These EEs look very similar to your OE! These EEs look nothing like the others I have. In the mix, I got a scissor beak Goliath sized EE and a Wyandotte with a single comb. Also one of my polish bantams is missing the end of its middle toes but otherwise seems fine. I don't know what to think of this order šŸ¤£
Sounds like they could be the same birds. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
Technically OEs are EEs.

Scissor beak in EEs is common from what I understand. Single combs in Wyandottes too. I have never ordered from Ideal before (bought mine from a third party) but hatcheries in general breed for quantity and not quality. Is the scissor beak bad? Is she able to eat and drink OK?
I have had several birds with wry tail from hatcheries, too.

Sounds like they could be the same birds. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
Technically OEs are EEs.

Scissor beak in EEs is common from what I understand. Single combs in Wyandottes too. I have never ordered from Ideal before (bought mine from a third party) but hatcheries in general breed for quantity and not quality. Is the scissor beak bad? Is she able to eat and drink OK?
I have had several birds with wry tail from hatcheries, too.
The scissor beak isn't bad and hopefully it doesn't get any worse. My 9 year old noticed it right away and I filed down the points a little. She is the biggest of the bunch and has no problems eating or drinking as of now. I also read this is common in EEs. She's so cute and I am enjoying watching her grow. They are all about 5 weeks old. The single comb wyandotte is the most friendly of the gang! I love them all just the way they are and I love being their new mum! šŸ’—

Cant imagine them being colored egg layers as an ee only has one blue egg gene bred back to brown its even slimer chance that they will lay olive. Wish hatcheries would breed true f1 olive eggers and not use an ee in the mix as thats not how you breed an olive egger
Yes. I know these are not OE in the traditional sense. I have other ā€œtrueā€ OEs as well. Was more curious about their appearance and temperment and egg production.
I know egg color will be a crapshoot. Guess we will find out when they lay.šŸ¤£

Back
Top Bottom