Ideal Poultry

I've had good luck with Ideal in the past - but has anyone had any issues recently with them substituting birds in your order and not letting you know? I've got a couple of other threads going trying to figure out what breeds of birds I've got - there are two still unidentified (my avatar is one of them in question). I've heard that they haven't had the best of luck with their orders this past few months with the heat/drought and everything. I ordered a specific breed pair and got two of something else - also ordered a specfici rooster and got something else that is currently unidentified. I don't plan on calling to complain - the 'mystery birds' are fun to try to figure out. But I was wondering if anyone else every got substitutes and didn't know it?

It depends on how old the mystery chicks are. Some breeds feather out totally different colors when fully grown, but if there are obvious differences in your chicks (such as comb type, feathered feet, etc.), then Ideal probably made a mistake. Did you order over the phone? If so, someone may not have heard you rightly.

As for the chick in your avatar, could you PM me with some more pics of it? It looks like some sort of Oriental pullet, or possibly a Cornish pullet.

God bless,
~Gresh~

I ordered online and I got a receipt listing in detail what my order was, so I know it was correct. Yes, the 'mystery birds' are completely different. The two that I ordered as a pair were two different breeds, different confirmation, different colored legs, one had a comb, one does not, different sizes and weights............on and on. It has been fun trying to figure it out. I can't wait for them to get a few more months older so I can really see what they look like. I really enjoy my birds, so this is just more entertainment for me!
yippiechickie.gif

I ordered on 2/6/12 and had to wait for all the ones I ordered (15) to be ready to ship at the same time. This was because I ordered several different breeds. I called once after ordering to change my order and their customer service couldn't have been nicer. My ship date was April 25 and they arrived yesterday the 27th. They are in Texas, I'm in Alabama. Was awakened by a call at 4:30 a.m. from the Post Office to come pick them up. Never got dressed so fast in my life. It had been just like waiting on Christmas when I was a child (60 yrs. ago). Excitedly to say, they were all in perfect health, peeping sounds that were music to my ears. They slept through the night wonderfully and are bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning, eating and drinking, pooping and sleeping. This is my second batch from them, the first being 5 yrs. ago through a local feed store. Ideal is GREAT! and I would recommend them to anyone. Here are some pictures of the little ones--all girls. I insured them and asked for no packing peanuts because I didn't won't roosters. Good luck to all who have ordered this year, no matter what hatchery chosen.

I would like to think ideal poultry for the fast shipping on all of my orders.(I ordered 100 old english game bantams in january and turkeys in april and only lost one I live in ky and only took 2 days to git here so avery one
I hope you all have good luck with your birds

I have ordered from them twice this year so far. I am VERY HAPPY with the chicks and their reps.

I ordered red broilers that dressed out between 6-7.5 pounds at 13 weeks, they were fed twice a day and free ranged all day. They were very sweet, healthy, and delicious tasting.

We also have 13 SLW roosters (free packing peanuts, that are being butchered soon) and SLW pullets that are sweet and love to be held and black sex link pullets. We did order 6 sexlink pullets and they sent 5. so I emailed them and they credited my credit card no problems.

mine are 2 weeks age difference and have done great since day 1!!! I have 4 pairs of 4 breeds (2 BO, 2 BA are 2 weeks older than the 2 NH, 2 SLW) we put them together at 1 wk/3wks after spending a the first week next to eachother in seperate cages indoors :) now they are in their chicken mansion outside with their 100sq ft run

*also purchased from IP :) very happy and healthy flock!

Last edited:
I'm back!!!!!!!!! Jeesh my dad cut the internet up with a lawnmower on accident sooo during that time period a little visitor (SATAN)
images
came and decided he would like to engoy 20 gorgeous home raised birds who meant alot to a girl and ate her favorite hen. a sweet melt your heart porcelain d'uccle hen named Crystal. But one night those stupid dogs came barking and alerted the household of danger. with the girl sound asleep the mom raced out with a gun in her hand. As the skunk entered the chicken coop she shot it.

So i saw a add in the 4-h newsletter for chickens for sale i bought 7 (all i could afford) white cochin bantam named Lily, Red shouldered yokohama named Jasper (very sweet), a californion white named Big Girl, a birchen/gray silkie named Sage, a poercelain d'uccle named Beck, a Silver spangled hamburg named Valerie, and a

I have ordered from Ideal twice and LOVE them. They are over 1500 miles from my house and all chicks arrived alive and well. Cannot complain. If you have any problems, let them know within 4 days of arrival and they will either refund them or send replacements soon. Great family owned company!

I'm back!!!!!!!!! Jeesh my dad cut the internet up with a lawnmower on accident sooo during that time period a little visitor (SATAN)
images
came and decided he would like to engoy 20 gorgeous home raised birds who meant alot to a girl and ate her favorite hen. a sweet melt your heart porcelain d'uccle hen named Crystal. But one night those stupid dogs came barking and alerted the household of danger. with the girl sound asleep the mom raced out with a gun in her hand. As the skunk entered the chicken coop she shot it.

So i saw a add in the 4-h newsletter for chickens for sale i bought 7 (all i could afford) white cochin bantam named Lily, Red shouldered yokohama named Jasper (very sweet), a californion white named Big Girl, a birchen/gray silkie named Sage, a poercelain d'uccle named Beck, a Silver spangled hamburg named Valerie, and a

I'm so sorry to hear about your birds!!!
hit.gif
I know that you can never replace a favorite bird. I had a Blue Silkie hen that I lost to raccoons once. She just had a personality that I've never found since. I do have some D'Uccle chicks if you're interested in getting some more. I've got Mille Fleur, Blue Mille Fleur, Porcelain, and Golden Necks. Is this your first skunk? One summer we lost $600 worth of birds to raccoons. We put out traps and caught around 30 of them within a month!!! Hope that at some of them made it.

Back
Top Bottom