Ideal run fence

Pics

Ruralhideaway

Crowing
6 Years
Sep 21, 2017
Upstate NY
So I've delayed and over thought how to do run fencing for my upcoming expansion. Now I'm good and stuck. :he

I thought just half inch hardware cloth would do. But I gather adding heavier guage wire at the bottom is advised. It's going to be a good sized run, 80x30, and I want it to be safe(daytime use only) but still hoping for good value.

I definitely have critters. Caught a mink years back by stepping on it's tail as it lined up on a chicken in the middle of a winter day. Haven't seen one since but the creeks not far from the barn. Skunks triapse through the yard when I'm right there.

So what to do. HC plus 2x4 wire? Either one plus electric net? Either one plus a single hot wire?(very easy as horse hot wire is close by) But deep snow has to shut the electric poultry wire down pretty good I'm guessing.

*sigh. Best practice advice needed to get me unstuck!

I would suggest buying 3' tall hardware cloth. If you have weasels, buy 1/4" HC. If you don't, 1/2" HC will do. Make a 1 foot apron (or buried) with this, and make the rest of it (the extra 2 feet) go up. Make it tight. Then add the 2x4 welded wire if that's what you want to use.

The welded wire is certainly cheaper. But weasels climb so I've thought I'd need to layer them. I could do the whole thing in quarter inch but arguably a fox or coyote could rip right through that, correct?

The welded wire is certainly cheaper. But weasels climb so I've thought I'd need to layer them. I could do the whole thing in quarter inch but arguably a fox or coyote could rip right through that, correct?
1/4" hardware cloth? No way. Hardware cloth is the best. But if you're going to use it, I'd move posts closer together or even use a top rail and use wood posts. Stretch it as tight as possible.

I have hardwire cloth(the smallest i dont know size) along the bottom about the 3 feet in height. And chicken wire on the top and roof of the run. And all along the bottom we had boards left over from old owners and we burred them halfway or 3/4 the way down to block the digging. We have not had any issues in the the year we have been here and the duck sleep out in the open in it or a open dog hut that is in it.

I worry about the weasely element. Mink and fishers both seen here. They get through anything bigger than an inch I believe. Coyote tracks next to my yard a couple nights a week. I'd like to think they wouldn't try it during the day but they sure might.

I also have some old but still very strong tall picket type fence. If I cut that down it would stop a coyote.

I worry about the weasely element. Mink and fishers both seen here. They get through anything bigger than an inch I believe. Coyote tracks next to my yard a couple nights a week. I'd like to think they wouldn't try it during the day but they sure might.

I also have some old but still very strong tall picket type fence. If I cut that down it would stop a coyote.
You could always have the whole bottom the fence and the top hardwire cloth.

The slats on this fence are staggered so it would still need lined. Sane me buying 2x4 welded wire also though. Then again I'd likely end up doing much more post work then. Hmm.

Weasels would squeeze through the bottom. Weasels can squeeze through 1/2" holes.
See i have never had weasels try to get our birds just opossums and coons both in Oklahoma and Florida. The coop they have here is the fist to be inclosed and compleatly secured. In oklahoma it was open and we never locked it.
Im not the best to helo with the weasel issues. But it sounds to me your best bet would be the smallest cloth all around
159ab007d5413c4721100983d5ce6043.jpg
*this is not my photo*
with it in dirt too like this photo here.

Back
Top Bottom