Ideas for large chicken coop?

aurajean515

Chirping
Oct 6, 2018
We’re building a new coop since our flock is expanding and theres just not enough room in the one we have currently. The plans so far are 13x14, but any idea on how to set up roosts? For some background information on what we’re including, we want a seperate area that we can close and open as we please for new chicks or chickens so they can be introduced slowly through a fence inside the coop. We also are going to use a pig feeder that can be filled from the outside as well as a waterer that can be filled from the outside.

Morning I have a geodesic coop not as easy as it sounds but use tables made of pallets both the same height they are to the side scrape them with a putty knife into a snow shovel JMHO

I would recommend doing 16x16 if you're starting from scratch since most supplies are 4' to 8' -- but I like the idea of less cuts and faster/easier/potentially lazier building, myself (that's being shared in retrospect after doing a 10'x16' coop).

Your feeder and waterer ideas sound awesome!! I wish I had thought of that but I feel like coops, at least for us, are always evolving as we learn and observe more.

My only recommendation is roosts all the same heights so they wake up "on the same level". I started with high and low roosts and quickly saw the error of my thinking so changed them all. And if they are high, something for them to hop on to get up -- a couple of my girls had a difficult time getting up at first, but they're 5' high.

This was my group this morning but most is show how I stop picking on most all no one is above the other but using pallets and 4 x 4 legs I use a plain old putty knife with a childs snow shovel to clean.... Water bucket 5 gallon horizontal nipples
010.jpg
011.jpg
012.jpg
013.jpg
one feeder

I would recommend doing 16x16 if you're starting from scratch since most supplies are 4' to 8' -- but I like the idea of less cuts and faster/easier/potentially lazier building, myself (that's being shared in retrospect after doing a 10'x16' coop).

Your feeder and waterer ideas sound awesome!! I wish I had thought of that but I feel like coops, at least for us, are always evolving as we learn and observe more.

My only recommendation is roosts all the same heights so they wake up "on the same level". I started with high and low roosts and quickly saw the error of my thinking so changed them all. And if they are high, something for them to hop on to get up -- a couple of my girls had a difficult time getting up at first, but they're 5' high.
We already have the base finished so expanding isnt a possibility. We don’t want the roosts too low as we’d like to be able to clean easily, what do you reccomend using for them to jump up to the roosts?

They fly up fine I have boards I put for them to walk up no one uses them they all fly but like 25 to 30 inches tall

If you like using Poopboards I saw a great idea someone came up with that involves building a brooder under the poop boards. Great space saver. If I can find the thread I saw it in I will post it. This spring when I renovate one of my coops I am going to use that idea.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/question-about-adding-chicks-to-a-flock.1283122/ Post #7, I thought that was the best innovation I have ever seen in coop building. Simple yet effective and a space saver.

We already have the base finished so expanding isnt a possibility. We don’t want the roosts too low as we’d like to be able to clean easily, what do you reccomend using for them to jump up to the roosts?
Curious why you chose the 13x14' dimensions?

Here's some height suggestions:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

and....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

My coop is 16 X 13.5 because it was just a hair under the building permit parameters.
I have an 6X6 section enclosed for roost area with a cement floor for easy cleaning. The rest of the coop is dirt which i change every year.
My roosts lift out so cleaning is easy. My rost poles are cedar to repel mites and lice. My husband built this for me and i Love it!
cgcgccg 010.JPG

I'm going to make a little stair step thing but I haven't had time yet. Right now I have a wooden frame from a tiny wood stove box just sitting there. It's just under 3' tall so they can hop on that and up to their 5.5' roosts. It definitely doesn't have to be fancy, just easy.

Back
Top Bottom