Ideas how to make this into a brooder? (Pictures added)

I am in the process of arranging some sort of brooder for about 7 chicks, possibly less if they don't all hatch.
I picked up this cabinet today

My plan is to take the doors off, and extend the depth of it, then add the doors back on to the extension, but take out the glass and cover with hardware cloth.
As it's quite high, I was thinking of adding a board higher up so that they have 2 floors, so to speak.
How much space would I need to keep about 7 chicks for 5/6 weeks, before they are moved to an outside hen house with run?
Edited to add: as it stands it measures 38 inches wide, 26 inches high and 12 inches deep.

I'd extend it out the back rather than try to modify the front.......and not go with 2 levels...put a 6-8" high'wall just behind the door.
But how wide and tall is it?
And how deep are you going to make it?
Will you be able to reach every corner to clean, grab a bird, etc?

I'd extend it out the back rather than try to modify the front.......and not go with 2 levels...put a 6-8" high'wall just behind the door.
But how wide and tall is it?
And how deep are you going to make it?
Will you be able to reach every corner to clean, grab a bird, etc?

It measures 38 inches wide, 26 inches high and 12 inches deep as it stands.
I'm not sure yet as to how deep to go, was hoping someone would give me an idea as to what size it needs to be to brood upto 7 chick till about 6 weeks old.
Can I ask as to why you say to add a wall by the door? ( trying to learn as much as I can).
Thank you for the suggestion to add the extension to the back, that makes a lot more sense.
If I extend the back then I would possibly fit the extension with lid top for easier access, and I would also have access from the front, so hope to be able to reach in from one end or another.
Thank you a art for you help and suggestions. Very helpful.

Short wall by door to keep bedding from falling out.
Even if you make that brooder 6-8' long it's gonna be mighty crowded for 7 chicks by 6 weeks...maybe by 4 weeks.

But did I read above you have a huge coop...like 12' x 12'?
Might be better to partition off an area in there and get the chicks outside faster...do you have power for your heat plate out there?

I had great success brooding chick in the coop this spring and integrating by 4 weeks old.
Maybe you could elongate this thing as a brooder and put it right in the coop?
Add little escape doors so they can go in and out and the bigger bird cannot.
Would be a brilliant chick refuge out in the coop.

If you want to contain them while they're little-littles, go ahead and use that inside the playhouse. It will be good until they're about 3ish weeks. At that point, they'll be well able to be loose in the playhouse. My grow-out pens range from 4x8 to 8x8 and the chicks do just fine there from about 3 weeks on. I use a heat lamp, but your heat plate will work well. They'll already be used to using it, so it really shouldn't be any transition at all.

Short wall by door to keep bedding from falling out.
Even if you make that brooder 6-8' long it's gonna be mighty crowded for 7 chicks by 6 weeks...maybe by 4 weeks.

But did I read above you have a huge coop...like 12' x 12'?
Might be better to partition off an area in there and get the chicks outside faster...do you have power for your heat plate out there?

I had great success brooding chick in the coop this spring and integrating by 4 weeks old.
Maybe you could elongate this thing as a brooder and put it right in the coop?
Add little escape doors so they can go in and out and the bigger bird cannot.
Would be a brilliant chick refuge out in the coop.

Unfortunately I do not have electricity in the coop, otherwise I would brood out there. There is already 2 pens in the coop that I use for sick hens and would be ideal for chicks. Did ask hubby to run electric into the coop for me, but due to being busy running his business, he hasn't got around to it.
How long will they need heat for?
I will try my best to make the extension on their broider as big as possible, and if the weather stays mild, I could put them out in the main coop by 5/6 weeks old.
I did buy a plastic igloo designed for rabbits, which I intended on covering and filling the interior with plenty of straw and wood shavings, so they are able to huddle together and keep warm. I will be setting that up when they go into the main coop.

I'm thinking with a heat source it will be too hot for a brooder. I like the suggestion on laying it flat and using wire mesh instead of the doors.

Quote: If you carefully manage the heat, ramping it down aggressively after a week, keeping a window open in brooder room to expose them to colder air, taking them on day trips outside they could be off heat by 4 weeks....maybe sooner, depending on outdoor temps.

Do not over think this process. Chicks are pretty tough little birds. Keep it simple. Brooder for 4 week and then out to the coop separate if possible from the older hens but so they can see each other, for about two weeks then let them go all together. You should be fine with this program. This is how I have done it now for about 15 yrs. and have never had a problem.

re the chicks getting vacc. for Merrick or Cocid. if not you will need to have med. feed for at least the first couple weeks. I would all so let sav-a-chick or some other eletrolytes for for the first week to help with stress from shipping.

Personally, instead of putting all the work into re-working that cabinet, I'd just get a large box for indoor brooding. Live is too short IMO to spend time building something that will be used inside for such a very short time.

Back
Top Bottom