Ideas on breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jandmeg07, May 31, 2008.

1. jandmeg07

jandmeg07 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Cheboygan, MI
    We got our 4 chicks and 1 roo from our local feed store. Our rooster is black with a white stripe on his head. Our girls *hopefully* are deep gold and yellow. The man who helped us said the girls will grow up to be red/brown. I've been reading many of the old posts and maybe the girls are Bovans? No idea what our roo is. Does anyone have an idea? We'd appreciate any info you have! Thanks so much and again, we are so happy that we've found this forum!

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Can you post a picture?

3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't picture black with a white stripe... [​IMG]
    A picture would help. [​IMG]

But the gold one sounds like a red or gold sex link. They come with all different names -including the one you mentioned- depending on who bred them.

They are the result of a cross between a red or gold male and a silver gened female. The females offspring are buff the males are white. I LOVE them! That's what Ella in my avatar is. They're amazing layers are really sweet!

Also, [​IMG]

4. jandmeg07

May 30, 2008
    Cheboygan, MI
    Thank you both for the quick responses! I'm loving these message boards. Here a couple pics. Whatever breed they are, they are the sweetest little things and are a great addition to our "nest". Being new to all of this, we just wondered what they might look like when they grow up. Thanks again!

[​IMG]mg]

[​IMG]

5. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like the girls are red sex links, and the black one is a black sex link boy or barred rock boy. (Only because they look a lot like mine did as chicks)

6. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I say red or gold sexlink girls and a black sexlink male. The black sexlink will be like a barred rock with some red or gold in his neck.

7. jandmeg07

May 30, 2008
    Cheboygan, MI
    Thank you so much for the responses, we really appreciate it! Thanks for the links also. I'll post pics as they grow. [​IMG] Have a great week! ~Megan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by