Ideas on breeds

aldanfac

Songster
Apr 16, 2023
Maryland, USA
Hi so my barnyard mix chicks, I wasn’t too interested in trying to determine what they are but now all my hens look the same and have these cute little fluffy heads. I’m curious what you guys think they are mixed with, mom is barndeveler

Attachments

• 510CF9EF-E6C8-4AF0-8822-BB927305FD3E.jpeg
    510CF9EF-E6C8-4AF0-8822-BB927305FD3E.jpeg
    578.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 8817BF0A-DFC6-4A5F-A055-F0ECD2A4418F.jpeg
    8817BF0A-DFC6-4A5F-A055-F0ECD2A4418F.jpeg
    812 KB · Views: 10
  • 452BDD38-A0C2-4E71-B74A-DF665CAF2DA5.jpeg
    452BDD38-A0C2-4E71-B74A-DF665CAF2DA5.jpeg
    418.9 KB · Views: 10
  • F6E020FE-7F51-447A-9C9E-25E0EFA072E9.jpeg
    F6E020FE-7F51-447A-9C9E-25E0EFA072E9.jpeg
    762.6 KB · Views: 11
Hi so my barnyard mix chicks, I wasn’t too interested in trying to determine what they are but now all my hens look the same and have these cute little fluffy heads. I’m curious what you guys think they are mixed with, mom is barndeveler
Do you have a rooster that fathered them? I would say maybe a Silkie or more likely a Polish Crested fathered them. They are adorable! :love 💚

Do you have a rooster that fathered them? I would say maybe a Silkie or more likely a Polish Crested fathered them. They are adorable! :love 💚
I got them from a friend who just wanted to sell mom and babies, she was also in a run with a few roosters he has a lot of chickens lol. I have no idea what roosters he has it could be anything, I should’ve asked but I wasn’t really too curious at the time

Are you sure about the mom?

If so the sire was bearded and crested.. also clean legged and 4 toed.. not 5... because feathered legs and extra toes are likely to pass on.

I wonder what comb type that is.. on my screen it looks like a standard pea.

To me.. bearded Polish is a possibility. But I might be hard pressed to rule out some EE or other crosses in there.. not knowing the full set of details..

The cresting itself.. still in the juvenile phase looks more like CCL or Swedish Flower than Silkie or Polish.. but perhaps because of being crossed or maybe still coming in. And would not explain the beard.

Anyways.. despite not being real good at it.. this is still one of my favorite games.. I love a good mystery, thanks for the invite to participate! :pop

(a lot of new breeds with small crest have also recently came on scene in the US, I'm not familiar with)

If so the sire was bearded and crested.. also clean legged and 4 toed.. not 5... because feathered legs and extra toes are likely to pass on.

To me.. bearded Polish is a possibility. But I might be hard pressed to rule out some EE or other crosses in there.. not knowing the full set of details..

The cresting itself.. still in the juvenile phase looks more like CCL or Swedish Flower than Silkie or Polish.. but perhaps because of being crossed or maybe still coming in. And would not explain the beard.

Anyways.. despite not being real good at it.. this is still one of my favorite games.. I love a good mystery, thanks for the invite to participate! :pop

(a lot of new breeds with small crest have also recently came on scene in the US, I'm not familiar with)

You're so right, I just noticed the beard. So I'm also going to include bearded polish as a strong contender

I am not honestly sure about the mom, she is a barndeveler but for all I know she could have taken other eggs lol she was too broody for the guy who originally had her but she’s actually a great mom, totally wouldn’t be surprised if some of these eggs were from different chickens. Your comment is so helpful! They don’t have pea comb but their combs are very very small and yellow/black I added more photos I can take more if these aren’t good enough. This is such a fun mystery all hens look exactly the same
1BA35449-6C1E-463D-B0A4-CD600C5A3C7A.png
A80A0BE5-6565-414A-99C3-047B4230A289.png
93239FC0-F0BB-4FC7-82A2-A473F2F652DB.png
9FD1D7FD-CB33-401B-8952-E8AD8F73A747.png
99EB2C60-BF65-435A-8861-08B4A0F9E387.png

Back
Top Bottom