Ideas on duck run top

camotruck

Chirping
May 22, 2010
NW Ohio
Hello,

I've been raising chickens for several years now, and I used this forum to get me started. So, I've been away from here for awhile. I just got my first two ducks with my last flock of chickens. I've always wanted ducks, there is just something I like about them. I have them pictured, a Rouen and a Runner.

Anyway I built them their own house and a small run with a pool. For now I am putting them out in the afternoon, but locking them up in a spare chicken coop at night. I have a large woods behind the house. I have a lot of racoons, several hawks and eagles, and rumors of coyotes.
The house I just built (pictured) has an access door on the left side so I can clean, etc. I plan to keep their food and water outside as much as possible. I'll probably have to move the food/water inside during the cold months (NW Ohio).

So I need to put in some kind of access door to the run (for me) and a roof over the top of what I have. I want to do this as cheap as possible, but convenient. FYI with what is pictured here, the only things I paid for were the drip edge, the hardware cloth, a gallon of blue paint (we wanted to match the house we live in), a couple of hinges, and the baby pool. Everything else was used with scrap material. The entire duck house was used with leftover construction wood, and built as strong as a house. The shingles will also be donated from a friend.

Any ideas on a door and a top? I thought of using some kind of poultry netting. Maybe put up an eight foot post and spread the netting down to the walls of the run. I had a friend that had a large chicken run, approx. 25' in diameter, with poultry netting. Although I think the only real threat where he lived were hawks.

Any ideas or pics would be great. Thanks for your help.

duck house.jpg
ducks.jpg

Hmmm. A Covered Dog Run and then run wire mesh over it so nothing can grab them. I have a 10X10 covered Dog Run. Then use a tarp to block out rain and snow.
I agree - the set up here only looks like a temporary one.
My run is cattle panel with welded wire - so we started off a bit differently as you know.
@camotruck The hw cloth run is probably not sufficient enough as it could be knocked down and you have no digger barrier. As well, you won't be able to walk in there to do anything.
I used aviary netting, but my set up is quite different.
I have a duck and chicken side and separated those with 1x2 welded wire - so made a swing door out of that.
Here is a pic.
20180429_162907.jpg

I agree - the set up here only looks like a temporary one.
My run is cattle panel with welded wire - so we started off a bit differently as you know.
@camotruck The hw cloth run is probably not sufficient enough as it could be knocked down and you have no digger barrier. As well, you won't be able to walk in there to do anything.
I used aviary netting, but my set up is quite different.
I have a duck and chicken side and separated those with 1x2 welded wire - so made a swing door out of that.
Here is a pic. View attachment 1416443

For my other two chicken coops, I made sure to install a digger barrier. Over the last 6 or 7 years that I've been doing this I haven't ever noticed any sign of digging. My digger barrier goes inside the run, 6" under the sand. I've had coon droppings on top, and even had a break in (my own fault) and had a chicken killed. But I have, surprisingly, never noticed a sign of digging. So, I wasn't too concerned this time of worrying about one.

Yes, one of my issues is being able to enter the run with ease. I can go crazy and build a whole shelter out of wood, I did this with the chickens. Total walk in run, wood framed, and completely covered with hardware cloth. It got a little more pricey than I wanted. I don't want to do this again.

Thanks for your input. I'm still debating, but I like some of these ideas!

Back
Top Bottom