Ideas?

WestoftheRest

Songster
Apr 4, 2018
Far West Texas
My Coop
My Coop
I have 15 7 week old Wyandottes that I need help sexing. I know most of you guys like three pics of each chick. That makes 45 total pics. That is a whole lot of uploading. So basically I am looking for a way to take less pics. Maybe pics of combs only then follow up with additional pics for questionable chicks. IDK. Open to suggestions. Also looking for ideas to identify each one. Was thinking about using colored zip ties but not sure. TIA

I would take headshots of each chicks and make a collage of the photos. That way you can combine 4 or 9 photos into one image. Label each image #1-#15 and there ya go.

Use leg bands for ID

I have 15 7 week old Wyandottes that I need help sexing. I know most of you guys like three pics of each chick. That makes 45 total pics. That is a whole lot of uploading. So basically I am looking for a way to take less pics. Maybe pics of combs only then follow up with additional pics for questionable chicks. IDK. Open to suggestions. Also looking for ideas to identify each one. Was thinking about using colored zip ties but not sure. TIA
you could use marker on a foot or toe. different combinations to mark each chick. It wears off in a day or 2.

I've used zip ties before. They are hard to get on - uncooperative chickens - and they are even harder to get off because of how tight they have to be to stay on. and scissors don't fit under. they have to come off or it will grow into them. If you do end up using zipties, nail clippers were the only thing that worked for me to get them off and it still wasn't easy.

I would take headshots of each chicks and make a collage of the photos. That way you can combine 4 or 9 photos into one image. Label each image #1-#15 and there ya go.

Use leg bands for ID

Will have to see if the wife knows how to do the collage deal. I dang sure don’t![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
With 7 week old Wyandottes, any with larger combs, wattles starting to grow in, and reddening of both are very likely cockerels.

Pullet?
F4369846-1EA4-4D98-999F-9AB5A0335D1B.jpeg

Cockerel?
4BB05216-AC4E-4E11-A68A-C8F8D832D2C2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom