Identification Please....BR or Doms and any Roos?*pics*

CityChickens2011

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
Okay my girls (I hope) are getting bigger. I am going to try for more input on whether they are roos.
sad.png
Don't think neighbors will be so neighborly with roos.
hmm.png
To help with identification I am going to number them.

Chick #1 (This is the one my son has claimed as his) Chick #2
102248_100_6129.jpg
102248_100_6168.jpg

Chick #3 Chick #4
102248_100_6172.jpg
102248_100_6180.jpg

Chick #5 Chick #6
102248_100_6175.jpg
102248_100_6179.jpg

Chick #5 and Chick #6
102248_100_6192.jpg

Chicks #1 & #2 have single combs and the rest have rose combs. These show the different combs and their coloring/barring. The ones with the rose combs do have a dark coloring on their legs and only one (chick #4) has really yellow looking legs. Thanks for the advice. It will be interesting to see what we do end up with.
caf.gif

Please help me on this getting worried I have all roos and will need to rehome them if the neighbors complain. We can have chickens as long as they do not become a nuisance or are noisy. Thanks. I had this listed on the New Members section but had no replies. Was suggested I try putting this question in another forum so here we go.
clap.gif

Update: The crowing has commenced. Here is the crowdown: #1=Roo, #2=Roo, #3=Roo, #4=?, #5=Pullet(hoping), #6=Pullet(hoping). So far have heard 1 & 2 crowing and 2 was teasing 3 into crowing this morning, (I can crow better than you type of thing). This was the first time I heard 3 crow, or try to crow. I am really hoping 4 will be a pullet. The neighbors have already complained and we need to rehome them. Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
-If the black speckled ones have rose combs, they are Dominiques. It is hard for me to tell sex on them because of the combs.

-I hope I am wrong, but #1 looks very much like a rooster (big comb) and may be a red sex link. In Red stars, roos are white and hens are red. So they can be sexed early on.

-#2 looks like a BR. If it is, a dark wash of black or gray on the legs means it is a girl. Girls usually have more black on them too feather wise. It is probably a girl. As a chick, girls have a smaller white dot on the head as well, where as the roos will have a more spread out and larger white dot on their heads.

Last edited:
It looks to me like you may have a roo or two but I'm a little new to this too. You may want to hold off rehoming if you do have any. I have roosters that are pretty silent.

Thank you for all the help. I am thinking 4 roos and 2 pullets myself.
th.gif
But will play the waiting game now to see how many crow.
hide.gif
I have another question now. Do different breeds start crowing earlier (age wise) than other breeds? I have never owned a rooster before so don't know anything about that.
idunno.gif
Thanks again!

i'm pretty sure all those are roosters!
sad.png
some of my 18 wk old pullets barely have bigger combs as yours do, and yours are not fully feathered yet. so i think all roos.

chick #4 may be a pullet, but is not red yet like the rest, not sure, hope its a hen.

Last edited:
Update: All but the last 2 pictured were roos. The last rooster had to go too because the neighbor complained about him crowing at 4:00 in the morning...even though we never heard him until about 6am.....and alllllll day long.

We made a homemade incubator and put eggs in yesterday will see how this works out. I wanted some chicks from our own rooster so thought we would try it.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom