Identify this goose?

Domestic goose, probably a cross breed and definitly dumped. If it was a wild species or at least a feral goose he/she wouldn’t be so trusting. Poor thing is used to being fed and cared for by people. If there isn’t an abundant food source there and if there are predators in the area her chances of survival aren’t very high.
It's a popular area so lots of people come by and feed them. Trouble is, most of those people feed bread. Or cereal, I observed. I went yesterday and spotted her, so went back today to give her a good meal and get photos to make this post.

At least she got a good meal of proper food today, I took a lot of pellets and she went through multiple handfuls. Probably the best meal she's had in a while. The others did come close too, but were more cautious.
As for predators, mainly foxes here. They seem to sleep on the islands on the lake, so I imagine mostly safe on that note.

I think the biggest threat is bird flu. And the people.
People here like to complain about these geese, and petition for culls. They've succeeded in the past. Also I came to this lake a couple months ago, found one goose throwing up and limping badly, and one duck dragging her wing. They are fed bad stuff, treated badly, and end up in bad shape.

Well, there you go. I would rescue her, if I could. Poor thing. With winter coming on, too...
Same, but I have no space, barely any knowledge, and no geese for her to be with.
I adore geese, but I think my family would hate nothing more.
I wonder if there's anything else I can do though, even if it just means taking her proper food once a week. She's an absolute sweetheart

This area is a big local dumping spot for ducks, they appear in summer, and die off over winter. But thankfully no dumped ducks this year. I thought we were in the clear until I thought more about this goose and felt something was off.

Same, but I have no space, barely any knowledge, and no geese for her to be with.
I adore geese, but I think my family would hate nothing more.
I wonder if there's anything else I can do though, even if it just means taking her proper food once a week. She's an absolute sweetheart

This area is a big local dumping spot for ducks, they appear in summer, and die off over winter. But thankfully no dumped ducks this year. I thought we were in the clear until I thought more about this goose and felt something was off.
Any rescues in your area? Or geese aficionados?

Any rescues in your area? Or geese aficionados?
aficionados?
No rescues are taking waterfowl atm because of bird flu, I tried that earlier this year for a dumped pekin, but to no avail. I dont think anyone would help her.

I could try and find facebook groups, or pet related websites, they have lost and found pet pages. So I could post a photo of her and let the community know she's there incase she's an escapee and being looked for. But I think the chances of someone looking for her is pretty slim. And who knows where she came from.

Back
Top Bottom