If I cross these roos with these hens what will I get?

DuckiesGarden

Songster
7 Years
Nov 20, 2012
402
91
156
Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all! In exchange for some of my spring ducklings I'm getting use of an incubator for as long as I'd like and I'm wanting to rebuild my flock as most of my layers are pushing eleven years old now. Im just trying to make some educated guesses so I can make some pairings that will produce some outcomes I'd like to see,like a few silkie feathered birds, some good layers and the rest just fun to look at and good sized(extra roos will have to go to the freezer).I'll add pictures of everyone with their names to help sort. I'm hoping that some of you that enjoy genetics and crossbreeding can fix any mistakes I've made and fill in the blanks!
The potential mamas: I have 2 girls under 3 that lay very well that are some sort of smooth feathered silkie mix. Cranberry is sized like a large bantam but is a great layer of big brown eggs,she's all white with dark skin, 5 toes, a single comb, very small crest and had feathered legs as a chick but they dissapeared as she got older.
Ginger is the same as Cranberry except she's partridge? type coloring with a rosecomb? And her crest is a bit bigger(I think cause she has the smaller comb)
Next I have Strawberry, a red sex link who lays very well.
Then 2 of the oldest birds I'd like to try and get a few chicks from just because they've been my favorites. Snowbird, a light brahma who still lays fairly well and has the size and hardiness I like.
Gypsy, an EE. She's about 11 now but back in the day she laid almost every day and was a beautiful, silvery blue with some gold. She still lays a couple blue eggs every once in awhile.(She's the bird in my profile pic)
The roos: All these are silkie mixes. All have 5 toes, started with feathered legs though they no longer have them, small crests and are really good size. Peanut is white with some yellow/blonde on his hackles and saddle and tail, and gold/light red through his wings, single comb, and yellow legs.
Walnut is the same color as Peanut but no gold/red, just a light yellow/blonde and an awesome walnut? comb.
Then there's Red, he's partridge? with some black spangles on his chest, yellow skin, single comb.
So that's the choices and here's my guesses. PLEASE correct me where I get it wrong!
*Either of the white roos with Cranberry will give me a small chance for silkie feathered chicks and all the offspring no matter the feather type will be white or mostly white, standard size?, have at least a small crest,5 toes, ?comb, and possibly feathered legs? Any females will have dark skin and males light colored or yellow skin?
*Any of the whites with Ginger will give me the same traits but different feather coloring?
*Walnut with Snowbird⁷will be large size, ?comb, yellow skin, feathered legs and ?color
*Walnut with Strawberry I have no idea except good size, possibly lose the single comb, and possibly good layers?
*Red with Strawberry will give me big red? birds, with single combs and yellow skin? Possibly good layers
*Red and Ginger would be a small chance for silkie feathered, partridge type coloring, ?Comb, at least a small crest,5 toes, maybe feathered legs
*I wouldn't know who to put Gypsy with. I love the silvery blue but not sure if it would pass on to any chicks and if any chicks would lay blue eggs like her or if it would revert to brown.
My plan is to separate them into groups, wait a week, then all the eggs after that will be what I save for the incubator.Then possibly change one or two around a month or so later and do it again for a second batch.
**Mr. Pickles is a bantam and is in the pic for size comparison to those silkie mix hens. He will be confined to the main coop with the older girls so he isn't a potential papa for these few hens I listed. IMG_20200120_190802.jpgIMG_20200120_191036.jpgIMG_20200120_190419.jpgIMG_20200120_190305.jpgIMG_20200120_190515.jpgIMG_20200120_185429.jpgIMG_20200120_185626.jpgIMG_20200120_185113.jpg
Thank you! 🙂
 

DuckiesGarden

Songster
7 Years
Nov 20, 2012
402
91
156
Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
I love the genetics calculator! It sure is easy to lose track of time trying out all the different combos! My trouble with using it in this instance is that I have no idea of the parents of these birds except that the father was a silkie or a silkie cross. The lady I got them from had so many birds that she just had no idea who was what. My husband brought me the first few after going there to get a riding mower, lol. Then I went back and took a few more but she'd already rehomed quite a few when I took the second batch so I never saw all of what she had and she didn't seem to know what she had anyway. So it's throwing me for a loop with the calculator, I just don't understand genetics enough to put much in manually. That's why I'm not sure if what I'm coming up with is right. Honestly I'll be happy with whatever hatches but it would be nice to tip the scales towards what I'd really like, lol.
 

Chickassan

Wattle Fondler
May 23, 2017
12,995
63,540
1,237
Greenville S.C, formerly Noneya U.S.A
Lol, you've got such a variety i'd be scared to even guess what your grandchickens would look like.
If you knew parentage on some like Gypsy that would help a ton.
Im just a dabbler when it comes to genetics, still learning and experimenting myself.
Not one bit embarrassed to admit I rely on the pictures when it comes to the calculator.
I do know Gypsy stands a good chance of passing on her colored eggs.
I mixed my old hen Susan with our Faverolles rooster and her daughter lays blue, it is lighter but still blue.:)
 

DuckiesGarden

Songster
7 Years
Nov 20, 2012
402
91
156
Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Lol, you've got such a variety i'd be scared to even guess what your grandchickens would look like.
If you knew parentage on some like Gypsy that would help a ton.
Im just a dabbler when it comes to genetics, still learning and experimenting myself.
Not one bit embarrassed to admit I rely on the pictures when it comes to the calculator.
I do know Gypsy stands a good chance of passing on her colored eggs.
I mixed my old hen Susan with our Faverolles rooster and her daughter lays blue, it is lighter but still blue.:)
I LOVE faverolles! I had some years ago that were the sweetest chickens! Unfortunately I lost them and a few others to a predator problem(now solved thank goodness). Did the daughter of that cross have feathered legs and a fluffy face? That's great news that she lays a blue egg! I'll cross my fingers Gypsy will give me a couple viable eggs! I don't know her parents either. She was a neighbor's and they were taking their 2 year old hens to the butcher shop and luckily she stopped by to chat on the way and I was able to talk her out of Gypsy. She's laid almost an egg a day up until this past summer when she started to slow down. If a hen or two from her is even half the layer she was I'd be happy!
 

DuckiesGarden

Songster
7 Years
Nov 20, 2012
402
91
156
Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
BEAUTIFUL! And Negan sure is a handsome fellow! And they have the best fluffy faces! I love that creamy color blended with the grey and then the black and white on the neck! Gorgeous birds out on a gorgeous day! What a welcome sight on a winter morning! :love
 

Chickassan

Wattle Fondler
May 23, 2017
12,995
63,540
1,237
Greenville S.C, formerly Noneya U.S.A
The genetics calculator wasn't much help with Kiwi lol.
She had an 80% chance of her mom's color and 20% that mix, only it did not tell about the 20% a person wiser in genetics did.
I was fully prepared for two Susans, a toasted one is just fine too.
She's one of my originals and getting older so I wanted grandkids.:)
It is fluffy face city out there for sure,
I think I only have five smooth faced birds Dominiques and a Speckled Sussex but their kids have beards.
There is also a Faverolle with no beard nor muffs in the mix.
 

DuckiesGarden

Songster
7 Years
Nov 20, 2012
402
91
156
Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Toasted is the best color description! Toasted and fluffy! Perfect! I wonder if a beard is a dominant trait then?
I've never had Dominique's but I did have a Speckled Sussex, very sweet tempered and so pretty! That's why I'm so excited to get the chance to hatch some eggs this year! The years are catching up to my originals and I wish I'd been able to have at least one baby from each of my favorites!
 

Chickassan

Wattle Fondler
May 23, 2017
12,995
63,540
1,237
Greenville S.C, formerly Noneya U.S.A
The beard seems to be very dominant
I like beards, the more fancy stuff on a hen the better.
The speckled sussex here is very nice but very small. I got her, a faverolles, and a dominique from Meyer hatchery in 2018 and they're all small even their kids are small.
Dominiques are good birds, scary smart and stay with you like a pup would.
I do wish you the very best of luck with your grandkids though, hatching babies is the nicest feeling .:)

Toasted is the best color description! Toasted and fluffy! Perfect! I wonder if a beard is a dominant trait then?
I've never had Dominique's but I did have a Speckled Sussex, very sweet tempered and so pretty! That's why I'm so excited to get the chance to hatch some eggs this year! The years are catching up to my originals and I wish I'd been able to have at least one baby from each of my favorites!
 
Top Bottom