1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

if i didnt pinion(sp?), would my mandarins and wood ducks fly off.

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by lcw1995, May 22, 2011.

1. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    i have a pen on the back of my barn with a 2 ft or so wide creek about 20 feet behind it. if i let my mandarins and wood ducks out of the pen, would they fly off if left un-pinioned?(sp?)
    thanks,
    cole.

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Probably,.... they may come back and stay or may pick someplace better...... My friend has a pair that stay around but another female went missing..... I think it comes down to how much you like them. If you really really like them, they will disappear. If you could care less if they stay, they stay around forever...... [​IMG]

3. lcw1995

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    Quote:lol yea thats ususally how it happens. the favorites always go first and the ones we want somethin to get always seem to stay [​IMG]

4. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    I wouldn't risk it. If you go and buy a couple of pair of Mandarins/Woodducks and Pay X amount of money for them i wouldn't want to let them have the chance to fly off and never come back, there was a person on here a week or so ago that had a hen that escaped and never came back as well.

5. lcw1995

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    Quote:yea i see your point.
    i can see where your comming from.
    i guess i dont think i would want to loose my money on a beautiful pair of mandarins or woodies to have them fly off.
    thanks.

6. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    I would just caution that a threat to aviculture is the escape/release on non-native species. The mute swan problem is a fine example of both the problems, and regulations that came come from accidental or intentional releases. Please don't risk my future ability to keep birds because you allowed them to fly off.

Clint

7. jensen

jensen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    I would keep them in their pen. If they are released you'll probably not see them again, even if they were raised at your place.

8. Matapatos

Matapatos Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2009
    No probably about it, they'll be gone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by