If I have 20 hens and 1 rooster can I add another rooster and they will sort it out or should I just stay with 1 rooster and not 2?

Depends on breed of the males and females, size of space they are contained in and individual temperaments. I have two flocks with multiple males with less than 10 hens in each group, but they have literally 20 acres of space to get away from each other when squabbles break out, as well as plenty of hiding spaces for hens and lower males. Not to mention I only keep ones that have good temperaments towards human and bird. I don't keep clumsy or aggressive breeders

If I have 20 hens and 1 rooster can I add another rooster and they will sort it out or should I just stay with 1 rooster and not 2?​

Totally your decision. We know nothing about your reasons for wanting to do this, what your facilities look like, the age of your flock, or many other things. If you can tell us why you want to do this we may be able to comment about whether you should or not, look at possible benefits or risks. If we knew your goals and what your facilities look like we may be able to suggest how to do this with a better chance of success.

There is no way for us to know if they will sort it out or fight to the death, no matter what your facilities look like or how you go about it. There are just too many variables involved. Whether you should try or not depends on your goals. You need to have a plan if it doesn't work out.

My general suggestion is to keep as few males as you can and still meet your goals. That's not because you are guaranteed problems with more males but the more you have the more likely you are to have problems. I don't know what your goals are. I also go by "If it's not broken don't fix it. You might break it."

Introducing adult roosters to each other has the least chance of success. Young cockerels growing up together, or cockerels growing up in a flock with adults, will have the best chance of success.
Again, depending on space, size of the flock, and individual temperaments. Here we have at least three or four males, and as many as six or seven at times. everyone must get along!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom