if my neighbor's dog jumps their fence and attacks my chicken coop

Quote:
Thats what I would do.
Once it hits the electric once or twice, I doubt it would return.
It would save bad feelings all around.

Quote:
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
bow.gif

Quote:
good idea only i am not the one that needs to put up a fence. the folks with the uncontrollable dog are.

I agree that it's not your responsibility to make changes to your property, and at your own expense, to keep your neighbors dogs out of your property. They need to contain their dogs just like you have to contain your own animals.

Quote:
What to do about this particular dog aside, if I am worried about the safety of my birds due to lack of adequate fencing, I'd build a better fence. If their safety is your primary concern as opposed to an apparently irritating dog, you might want to consider that.

I have to say that while I find many posts here way too casual about shooting dogs, I have great respect for the actions taken here. The dogs were an obvious danger, you gave the owner every chance in the world, did what you had to do, and are willing to stand up to deal with the consequences. Bravo, my friend. Bravo.

Quote:

Quote:
What to do about this particular dog aside, if I am worried about the safety of my birds due to lack of adequate fencing, I'd build a better fence. If their safety is your primary concern as opposed to an apparently irritating dog, you might want to consider that.

I heartily agree with Buster on that. You really need Fowl Fort Knox because the neighbor's dog is the least of your worries. After you dispose of ChickenChomper, the raccoons, possums, owls, etc. will be coming and I'd be more worried about their protection at night. Even those of us who free range our chickens have to worry about protection for when they're not free ranging.

But, that said, even if the dog in question can't get to the chickens (and we've all read posts about dogs ripping apart wood on the henhouse to get to chickens, or tearing through fencing), the chickens can still injure themselves while crashing into the fencing or sides of the coop in their attempt to get away from a dog terrorizing them from outside their coop and run. They tear wings, break necks, and get really stressed. And in this heat, freaking out over a crazy dog on the outside, will just make them suffer heat stroke on the inside.

So this particular problem that Phishinchicken has really isn't solved by just building Fort Knox and leaving it at that. The dog *still* shouldn't be there. And frankly, if the dog is jumping over fencing to get to the mailman, I consider that a proven dangerous dog. You don't need to wait until someone gets mauled to see that a dog is dangerous. He shouldn't be anywhere but on his own property. Aggressive dogs are a recipe for disaster to more than just chickens, and while I don't condone throwing them away like garbage (just put them down or rehome them), I do believe it requires the dog owner to be that much more diligent about keeping the dog from roaming.

I certainly don't even you: you don't have a dog that just goes after chickens, but it goes after people too.

Well, as to the birds injuring themselves because of a dog just on the other side of the fence, perhaps that was a bad place to put the birds. In that case, if the dog is on its property and harassing the birds from there, but never enter the property, yet the birds still injure themselves, well... not much you can do. It isn't legal to shoot any dog while it remains on the owner's property. Not in any state.

This just underscores the importance of researching and carefully selecting sites for our animals, before we get them.

Panner123 wrote:
if he came looking for revenge. 2 less mean dogs and 1 less bully in the neighborhood.
I hope when he gets out of jail he has sense enough to realized I mean what I said about predators. At least I will have a good self defense case.
Gramps taught me to take no BS from anyone and Uncle Sam showed me how to do it affectly.

I'm always reminded of the old Reagan campaign ad `There's a Bear In The Woods' when I read your posts.
BearX.jpg

Maybe it is time to fire up the backhoe, again, and set up a perimeter.

How to deal with chicken thieves and rabid dog owners: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=75881

Back
Top Bottom