If one dies in the incubator, are others safe?

Hope119

Songster
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
If one chick dies in the incubator and spends some time in there while there are others, are others safe? This might not happen, but asking just in case. I have one chick in the incubator that just hatched. He is very weak and has a pea-size blob on his head, behind the comb, I think. I think that area has some blood too and his eye has a large blue circle around it. I think he won't survive the night. There is one more egg in there that piped, but I have not seen any progress, so that one might not be a survivor either. Plus two more eggs that does not seem to have any pips. It has been 21.5 days (day 22 began exactly 12 hours ago).
23 babies are in the brooder already and seem fine.
Thanks!

Better yet.... Take the whole bator into the bathroom after you have run the shower and jacked the humidity up in there to the same as the bators... This is by far the safest method for the rest of the hatch. You may lose a little in temp but the humidity is going to be your biggest problem...If you open it w/o humidity stabilization you will shrink wrap the yet to hatch babies...

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
GREAT idea!!!!

The thing is - I am leaving for my night sleep and he has just hatched when I last checked. I am just thinking those three that are in there might still hatch, who knows.
Did not understand what I need to spray, sorry.
I won't be able to carry the incubator to the bathroom. It is in the basement and there are no bathrooms there. I did open it many times during the hatch to take babies out and add water. I understand that it is not recommended, but that is what the owner of the incubator did with good results, so that is what I did. Can't imagine keeping 23 chicks in there for 2 days. They seem to be happier in the brooder.

I'd get up every 2-3 hours if you don't have to work in the morning. Humidity is crucial when hatching. Hope it goes well and he makes it.

He is defected, with big blob on his head. I just checked, he is still alive, but just laying down, not moving. I don't think the one that has pip is still alive. And the incubator is very smelly too
sickbyc.gif
- I have the vent on top open since at one point there were drops on the screen (some still there). I might just turn it off tomorrow morning.

he is still alive. can stand, although not as well as others could. the blob is still there - not a pleasant view - my daughter does not even want to look. What do I do with him now??? Any advice?
I think he is the last one. No one else will hatch. He is still in the incubator. If we put him with others, we will have to look at him every time we look at our chicks.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom