If Silkie raises "big chicken" babies, will theygetalong later?Q added

chickiebird

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 16, 2007
Annapolis Valley
I know, I know, this question has probably been asked a hundred times over, but I did search and couldn't find an answer, so here goes - I have 2 silkie hens and a Banty roo. I plan to let them hatch some eggs in the spring. The question is - I'd also like to add a few "real" chickens to my flock. If I slipped some "normal chicken" eggs under my brrody Silkie and they hatch, and she raises them, which I'm sure she will because that's what Silkies do, will the bigger chickens be accepted into the flock when they are all grown up? I'm assuming they will just be part of the family, but chickens are so wierd about things, just thought I'd ask!

Last edited:
yep. theyd be ok. my sebright mix was just 2 months old when she took on 10 brahmas and raised them. She even sat on them at night!!
lol.png
. needless to say, she was stretched pretty thin

I put 6 standard fertile eggs under my broody silkie. She was an excellent mother, even when her babies got bigger than her, she would just peck them back in line. My banty mille fleurs and 2 standard pullets get along fine. They sleep together and no one really hen pecks each other. Just the obvious stuff, like gimme back my oatmeal blob...

Tanya

I agree with Stormhorse. We integrated the mom and babies into coop social life slowly. We had them separate, but so they could see each other. We also don't have many birds, so it was easy to separate them.

Hope it all goes well with you! Silkies are great mamas!

Tanya

I have a silkie hen raising 20 chicks at the moment.. she hatched 4 the others were out of the bator.

It's cute to see an Orpington chick standing on her back. She clucks and they all run and do her bidding right quick.

I plan to move them all back into the coop together with the rest of the flock. I figure going back in with mama on their side will make it easier since she is already part of the group....

My silkies and banties get along fine with my standard flock...they all share the same run and it's never been an issue.

Julie
big_smile.png

Thanks so much, everyone. I kinda figured it would be ok, but like I said, chickens are weird.
My two girls are inseperable and my roo is the sweetest, gentlest roo ever. I will be careful with the babies, but I really don't forsee a problem there. Usually the girls go broody together, so I hope to let both of them hatch some babies.

Another silly question - how do you go about finding fertile eggs to put under them when they do go broody? It has to be timed right, of course, at their whim, so where can you get the "real chicken" eggs when you need them??

i saw a sign at the side of the road which said "Free range eggs" so I stopped and asked if they had a roo.

THey said yes, and they let me go and get fresh eggs from the coup.

They're under my broody right now.

Back
Top Bottom