If u could only have 2 hens for eggs what would u choose?

magsrags

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Staten Island NY
I'd like to add 2 standard sized hens to my yard for the purpose of laying eggs. I know my silkies eggs will be small.....so am thinking of getting 2 big layers. Suggestions would be appreciated . Requirements would be good layers....quiet..... friendly and winter hardy. Thanks in advance.
big_smile.png

Every answer you get will be slightly different based on each ones experiences. The answers might be a little
barnie.gif
for you. Saying that, here are my recommendations: RIR or Australorp.

BR, BO, RIR or.........................
Golden Comets. Those things lay prolifically.
I will be getting more Golden Comets this spring from the feed store.

Everyone you ask will have a different opinion based on their likes, dislikes, and experiences with chickens they have been around. Rhode Island Reds or Black Australorps both have good reputations as good layers. Any of the known crosses sold by hatcheries specifically for egg production should be good. Personally, I have fallen in love with turkens. They are unusual looking, very quiet, friendly, and mine have been egg laying factories.

My buff orps and wyandottes were the first to start laying. The silver laced wyandotte so far is the most consistant, although the buff isn't far behind her.
The buffs are friendlier.

Good luck!
(if it helps, I have gobs of pictures on my website of buffs, wyandottes, etc from day one to present)

I have a buff orp (currently broody), 5 delawares, and 1 golden comet...all breeds previously recommended on this thread. My golden comet started laying earlier than my delawares, and is really, really friendly. My buff Orp is also fantastic, regular and usually kind (except when she is on the nest, and then she reminds me of a t-rex) Those are my suggestions. I like the delawares, but if i had to only pick 2 kinds, the comet and the buff orp. have my vote.

I like my Barred Rock and RIR for consistant laying - they're friendly and non-broody. Also great are: Leghorns, Delaware, Sex-links, Austrolorp

A great guide is: http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

It
has lots of information on the birds and eggs. For me, egg size was a big factor. I didn't want to have to calculate how many small or medium eggs equaled how many large eggs for all my tried and true receipes.

Back
Top Bottom