If u could only have 2 hens for eggs what would u choose?

I would pick RIR or Buff Orps. The reason for RIR first they are better egg production wise, sometime a Buff Orp will go Broody on you 2 or 3 weeks after she starts laying and there goes the egg production for a month or two.

Light Brahmas are good egg producers.

The hybrids like the Red- or Black-Sex-Links are bred for egg production and for docility. McMurray calls them Red Stars and Black Stars, and I have & love them both.

Love my Marans but if I could only have one breed for eggs and meat it would be my RIR's hands down.

NoelTate wrote:
I have fallen in love with turkens. They are unusual looking, very quiet, friendly, and mine have been egg laying factories.

NoelTate--

How do you tell the Turken males from the females?

There were three Turkens in my mixed heavy rooster selection last summer that I grew for meat. I really liked them. They grew faster and bigger than most of the other heavy breeds. And they were tasty.

I never heard any of them crow.

One was quite a bit smaller than the other two, but its comb and wattles were similar in size and color. When I slaughtered it, I did not find testicles, but I did not find eggs either. Could it have been a female?

The main reason I ask is that I will probably order 25 roosters for meat use next summer, but if I can identify any females in the group, I will keep them for eggs and maybe breeding.

Thanks!

Carol in Minnesota​

I love my Delaware she is very quiet and friendly and has a fun personality (she comes when called) I only have one though so I'm not sure it's the breed of just her.

She is very winter hardy and loves to play in the snow.

I love my Delaware she is very quiet and friendly and has a fun personality (she comes when called) I only have one though so I'm not sure it's the breed of just her.

My Dels are like that, too. VERY friendly & I've not had one go broody.​

Quote:
Yep. BO's, BR's and RIR or Wyandottes
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom