If you bring a show bird into your flock question True or not true?

crzychicken

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Hi, My neighbor whats some of the chicks that I order buts she told me her dad bought her a show bird and it killed her flock here's what she told me

I vaccinate for newcastle/bronchitis and the other is Laringopharygitis (sp). Mine are all vacc. which makes them carriers. I can't add to the flock without vaccinating them first. I do it myself. Its just a drop in the eye.

My dad bought me some show birds years back and didn't realize that show birds are all vaccinated for these. (its mandatory)

I lost three quarters of my birds in less than a month before I figured out what it was that was killing them. Gasping for breath etc. nasty horrible way to go.

So now I have to vaccinate all new birds.

So be careful. Don't buy birds that may have been shown or came from someone who shows. Baby chicks are ok, because they can't be vaccinated until they are 4 weeks.

I haven't had any trouble with Mareks, and I always use medicated starter feed to get them going. After that the only meds they get are wormer every 4 months.

Thanks I need help on this for I don't show birds but my wants to .

Last edited:
Show birds vaccinations - I have never attended a show that asked for proof of vaccination. They do require either a certificate from a vet, or my NP certificate. However, different states could well have different requirements.

I think the real question here is "If a bird is vaccinated for newcastle/bronchitis and Laringopharygitis does that make the a carrier, giving them ability to infect other birds?"

I know a polio vaccine does not turn a human into a carrier of Polio but I dont know if that analogy would hold true with a newcastle/bronchitis and Laringopharygitis vaccinations. I will try and research this.

One thing I immediatly thought of was checking with the label. One would imagine that if they birds became carriers , the manufacturers would list that under Caution to avoid lawsuits.

PRECAUTIONS newcastle/bronchitis

If possible, vaccinate all susceptible birds on the premises at the same time. For 10 to 14 days after vaccinating, avoid carrying vaccine particles on shoes, clothing, etc., into areas where there are unvaccinated birds.

This would indicate that their is a 14 day window that vaccinated birds could infect other non-vaccinated birds.

Checking further.

Last edited:
Vaccinations for Infectious Laryngotracheitis makes a bird a carrier. I don't know about the others.

Around here there is no requirement at shows to have vaccinations. Birds coming from out of state do need a health certificate. At least, that is what I have seen locally.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dpi/hs.xsl/27_2740_ENA_HTML.htm

I am not sure, what this is saying, I think it means that vaccinated birds are carriers for about 14 days after vaccination. The fact that to be effective you have to vaccinate yearly would indicate to me that the "immune" affect wears off.

Still checking ..

Laryngotracheitis
http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/poultry-health/laryngotracheitis.html
This document states the vaccine makes the birds carriers for 2 to 4 weeks.

Document from the NC State UNiversity and the Cooperative Extension
If you dont want to read the pdf
Vaccine outbreaks (1-4 weeks post-vaccination)

Think that's enough on Laryngotracheitis , going to see if I can find more on the newcastles.

Last edited:
Vaccinations for Infectious Laryngotracheitis makes a bird a carrier.

It is my understanding that there are different types of ILT vaccines. There is one vaccine that is recommended for show or backyard flocks that shouldn't cause the vaccinated birds to be able to infect other birds.

I talked with First State vet supply about this - in part because reading some of the posts about birds with ILT on here scared the bejeebers out of me, and I would be so devastated if any of my birds got it. Peter Brown said that the one that doesn't make them carriers is the only one that a poultry supply catalog should carry, but if I do decide to vaccinate, I think I'll buy it from him to make sure I get the right one.​

Newcastle vaccine

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3992916?dopt=Abstract
The above is a study published in Vet Med Nauki 1985

Summary - short term carrier state , depends on the vaccination used , ones tested, 10 days was the longest time.

http://www.find-health-articles.com...arrier-state-congenitally-immune-chickens.htm

This was the longest term I could find , this article says 80 days

Five-day-old chickens decendants of hens vaccinated several times under conditions existing in the practice were ophtalmo-nasally inoculated with 10(5),5ELD50 velogenic viscerothropic Newcastle Disease virus NDV. Thirty two per cent of them were stricken by the disease and died, but the remaining 68% resisted the provocation and showed no clinical symptoms 80 days post inoculation. The virulogical investigation of the chickens resistant to inoculation proved they are spreading the virus for 45 days and remained virus-carriers for 54 days post inoculation. NDV did not change its pathogenic properties even after persisting for long periods of time. Two virulogical methods for virus isolation were used -- tissue homogenates and cloaca washings inoculated on hen embryos and tracheal organ culture. The advantages and the great possibilities for discovering latent NDV infection of the organ culture are pointed out. Latent fowl pest infection in birds is discussed.

I am done now.

Last edited:
Well, I tried replying earlier and my computer ate the message (along with attack kitten who disconnected the router).

I know many exhibitors who do not vaccinate for ANYTHING. And the ones I know who vaccinate (a significantly smaller number) are very specific in what they vaccinate for. I don't know anyone who vaccinates for ILT or for Newcastles.

Some states completely forbid ILT vaccination or import of birds who have ever had that vaccine.

Live vaccines create a carrier state; killed vaccines or vaccines made from related, but different viruses are less likely to.

I have never been to a show that required any sort of testing or health certificate, although I have heard of both. I did attend one show where birds were inspected by the judge for their health near the fairgrounds entry--this was in California the year after the END epidemic.

Thank you for the links pipermark.
It looks like once eye drops are use they carriers for 10-14 days from their poo and the 2nd link says you can get a vacc that you can mix vac chickens with non vac chickens together in your flock.

So my question?

and the part that wasn't clear to me or I just didn't get!

I know "One" of the vacc don't make them carriers and they can be put together from what I read, but what about the ones that have already been vacc. with the another type vacc I didn't see where it said if they are lifetime carriers or not life time carriers or if they can be mixed with non vacc. flock
did anyone who read the links see that?

Back
Top Bottom