If you bring a show bird into your flock question True or not true?

I heard back she said don't know what company or brand she gets it frome Mcmuuay hatchery and Mcmurry gives it to their birds, so I went to the web site and it's there but no Info on the meds. I guess I can call them or someone here might know I see alot of BYCers order chicks from them .

each state and show is different. when i show in ny they only need tested for PT or AI can't remember but i think just PT. and the lab reports for the test.

here in PA i'm required to vaccinate for ILT- LT-IVAC vaccine is what we use. we r required to PT and AI test both. however i also vaccinate for IB/newcastle. i've had show birds come in with IB and ILT trust me i learned the hard way at shows they can be exposed to anything. lab results from state vet r fine for this one also but either npip work also.

getting the vaccine doesnt make u a carrier. u have to quarenteen for 30 days after given because they r live shedding virus. if they r shedding it others can get it.

When they are vaccinated, the virus is introduced to their bodies; they then shed it the same as if they had the disease.

I believe that we may all be using the term "carrier" to mean slightly different things.

Quote:
i agree i think the term is being used to mean different than it normally is used. think of it this way, u go get a flu shot r u a carrier for life? no ur body produces antibodies for life to protect it.

when u all r saying carrier, i think meaning a bird carries a disease for life. it will get better but still get worse and never truely get over it and during outbreaks can pass it. what u should be saying is quarenteen time or they shed a live virus from the live virus vaccine up to so many days, that is not what a carrier is. in all actuallity they only shed it till the symtoms r past but not all show it, usually it is about a week but 30 days is the procaution time.

in our state regs they must have lt-ivax 30 days prior to that show not more than 1 year. some shows do not require testing if they do i will not take my birds to them.

if the neighber hasn't vaccinated within the last 30 days and there is no carrier in the flock then she doesn't have to vacinate any new birds till she needs to for next show schedule.

Quote:
They didn't require a PT report or anything for that matter at the APA Nationals at Ventura California last October. Surprised the hell out of me.

Bob

I do not vaccinate and I know of no one in my area that does. I get my birds blood tested (PT) each year and follow NPIP guidelines. To say never buy from someone who shows is fair reckless. It is good to know and you should always ask questions about what went into raising the bird and the feed before purchasing it. That seems to be the best bet. Ask if the owners vaccinate. You might find that most do not.

She (being my neighbor) thinks that because she gave her birds the vacc that her birds can give new castle and IT to any new chicks or chickens she says their "carriers" and can give New Castle and LT to any new birds that have contact with the Vacc birds
Which I don't believe is true They can only transmitte for that 10 -14 days that they shed it..but myself I would go on the side of 30 days. Yes ask questions look into thing BYC'ERS are great for Info and I'm sure people that show birds are very careful and their are plenty of people that have vacc and non vacc birds mixed together I would not suggest that you do or don't buy from anyone who shows chickens just ask lots of question first and It will help keep you from learning the hard way weather they are show birds or non-show birds and always Quarantine any new birds or chicks.

I'm fairly new to chicken and when she said that her birds were carriers of these two things, I paniced... because my son and her son play sometimes and they have come over to visit and she also have given bird to my other neighbor to give to her friend who I know goes to farmers markets and sells eggs and I did know if she was awear of this seeing she is an ceritf. Organic grower of veggies and eggs I hated to see her lose her flock for doing a favor getting rid of someelses chickens they didn't want.

Last edited:
rodriguezpoultry wrote:

Sonoran, you have shows that don't require Pullorum Typhoid testing?!

They didn't require a PT report or anything for that matter at the APA Nationals at Ventura California last October. Surprised the hell out of me.

Bob​

I live in Arizona which has no testing requirements for poultry--either for exhibition or for import into the state. NAIS is illegal by state law. None of the shows I have been to required any sort of testing or health certificate. I've also shown in Colorado, California & New Mexico.​

Back
Top Bottom