If you bring a show bird into your flock question True or not true?

Oh, and many I know would absolutely NOT vaccinate for Newcastles--it will cause a positive END test result, and the entire flock would be killed at government order, along with all nearby flocks.

I know a polio vaccine does not turn a human into a carrier of Polio

Not true. When your children are vaccinated for polio they are carriers for a month or two (I don't recall the exact timeframe). People with compromised immune systems such as people undergoing chemotherapy should not be exposed to them for risk of contracting polio.​

I thought my flock would be gonners I'm still not going to her house or having her come here I love my hens too much. Could her flock infect mine with new castles ?

Absolutely not kidding.

MILLIONS of chickens, pet birds and endangered species of birds were killed at government order in 2002-2003. Mostly in California, but also in Nevada, Arizona and Texas. Many of the birds that were eradicated were from flocks that did NOT test positive, but were within about a 1/2 to 1 mile radius of flocks where a single bird tested positive.

Her chickens didn't test positive for it she just said she vacc. them because she vaccs for LT anyway

I show all the time and I never vaccinate for any of those diseases, I only vaccinate for Mareks, and thats only because I have had it here before.
The best resistance is to let your birds develope their own immunity to such diseases on their own. If and when they get it, cull the sick ones and the healthy will be that much more resistant to getting those diseases in the future.
I know I am contradicting myself with why I vaccinate for Mareks, but, it is what works for me.

Mareks, Fowl Pox & coccidiosis are the only vaccines I know of anyone actually using. Some breeds are genetically resistant to Mareks and some are actually prone to it. Fowl Pox is heavily dependant on the particular area in which you live. Coccidiosis is easily treated.

What you need to find out is exactly WHICH vaccine she uses so you can research and see if it causes a carrier state or not. I realized that you said she vaccinated, not that she had Newcastles in her flock. My point is that vaccinating for Newcastles gives a positive result to a test for Exotic Newcastles, a related, but much more virulent disease that is a reportable disease in all states.

Back
Top Bottom