If you could build your ultimate coop, what what would you build?

Pipica

Songster
Feb 6, 2023
Central New Jersey
I’m fortunate enough to be in position to finally build whatever I want coop. In order to do forever coop I would ask for ideas and guidance from you fine people. Many heads together are better than one. I have access to pretty much any material and space is not a problem. I have general idea on what I like but i need help with a details.
We live in New Jersey US (to insulate or not) and i have 30ish chickens.
I’m leaning towards 8x16 or 10x16 coop and 12x 25 or 20x20 run. i don’t need storage area in the coop since it will be next to the barn where supplies will be located. All that space is for my girls. One side 4x8 or 4x10 will be two stories , bruooder (on top) and the chick grow area ( floor level) electric and water will be in the coop. Poop boards is a must and lots of light. Galvanized 1/2wire run floor included and the actual coop will be on a concrete slab. I spend many nights on this site studying others people ideas dos And donts and I’m still not sure what to do. I would like it to be an ultimate coop that will last me for the rest of my life and I would love to love it and not have those should of could of didn’t think of it . Please, everyone is more tha welcome to chip in and put their experience ideas and ahas moments … I would greatly appreciate it.

carolina coops has a lot of videos on youtube with great ideas and explanations. As well, there's a wealth of knowledge in the coop builds sections. Since you're in it for the long haul I would recommend building the coop such that every piece/unit is replaceable but at the same time, built with quality materials that should never "need" to be replaced.

Well, it sure sounds like you did your research. Perhaps you could tell us which areas of it you are questioning or up in the air about?

We needed a storage shed so bought a 12x20 Amish shed, then on the right side of it we put up a studded wall at 8' so their coop is 8x12 with a pen for new moms on the right. They free range otherwise.

Light: We have an old fluorescent kitchen light mounted in the ceiling, plus it had two windows until we put an exhaust fan in one of them.

Chick grow area: Genius idea! Planning ahead for growing out chicks and ability to heat in your coop makes it work!

Our floor is tiled and we use horse bedding pellets in both the coop and the brooder, except our brooder is in the house, and the grow-out pen is on the opposite side of the property.

Attach files

Attachments

• 157.JPG
    157.JPG
    998.3 KB · Views: 41
  • coop kennel.jpg
    coop kennel.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0326.JPG
    IMG_0326.JPG
    442.9 KB · Views: 42
  • silkie and ss.jpg
    silkie and ss.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 42
I would advise NOT putting wire down inside the run. It is a hazard to chicken feet. Have you read up on an anti-dig apron? That is what many of us have done to keep diggers out.

I would say go with the bigger option. Your birds will not complain about extra space.

*My ultimate coop would be a huge barn with sections for the different breeds, lots of windows*

I like a monitor roof style for the ventilation it offers.

I would advise NOT putting wire down inside the run. It is a hazard to chicken feet. Have you read up on an anti-dig apron? That is what many of us have done to keep diggers out.

I would say go with the bigger option. Your birds will not complain about extra space.

*My ultimate coop would be a huge barn with sections for the different breeds, lots of windows*

I like a monitor roof style for the ventilation it offers.
Wire will be underground with 8 to 12in of dirt on top of it. Right now I have 18in on top of the wire and it’s been keeping predators out. I don’’t close their door unless extremely cold. The barn is 36x24 and it will be for the horses and goats and … will see😂.

Well, it sure sounds like you did your research. Perhaps you could tell us which areas of it you are questioning or up in the air about?

We needed a storage shed so bought a 12x20 Amish shed, then on the right side of it we put up a studded wall at 8' so their coop is 8x12 with a pen for new moms on the right. They free range otherwise.

Light: We have an old fluorescent kitchen light mounted in the ceiling, plus it had two windows until we put an exhaust fan in one of them.

Chick grow area: Genius idea! Planning ahead for growing out chicks and ability to heat in your coop makes it work!

Our floor is tiled and we use horse bedding pellets in both the coop and the brooder, except our brooder is in the house, and the grow-out pen is on the opposite side of the property.

Attach files
Thank you for your input . Poop boards , for example. Would you have nesting areas build under poop boards? How high would be realistically ideal board hight? Ventilation, fans good or bad idea? Windows, I’m imagining almost sun room!!! Overkill???? I was pretty sure what I “needed “ in the coop until I got to do it. Now I’m second guessing my ideas scared that I will make a huge mistake. I did my research but now I’m second guessing everything. Funny thing, I have had chickens for decades …

Mistakes I made - Make your roost long enough and strong enough to hold all your chickens. I did a roost set up kind of like 3 steps so it would be easy for them to jump up and down and for plenty of room. They are wide enough and strong enough but they all try to cram themselves together on the top roost and only use the 2 lower ones for going up and down and the top one is just a little to short to comfortably hold them all.
Make sure your run is tall enough for you to stand up and work in without hitting your head. Mine is just a little to short when the deep litter is built up. I always planned on doing deep litter but never thought to take that into consideration (duh!) before the roof went on.
Put awnings over the doors and windows so rain doesn't blow into the coop when they're open and make the bedding all wet.

Back
Top Bottom