If you had to start ALL OVER raising ducks, WHAT would you get, do over...????

Pics

RobertaD1

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 30, 2020
South West Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
My husband just LOVES ducks. I just LOVE my chickens..... Over the last 8 years, we have only had chickens and I have KINDA been a turd and not let him throw ducks into my coop.( HEY... a LOT of time and money has went into this old building, I really didnt want to add any new "curves" into any equations. :tongue)
He has been really wonderful in helping me with the remodel of my coop.... so to repay his kindness, my 7 year old and I have decided that come spring.... SOMEONE at my house will get a basket full of ducklings.:highfive:

OK. I have spent about 3 months so far researching -How to care for ducks...how they live, what and how they eat.... yada..yada...yada....
These ducks will not free-range, BUT, they will have a large enclosure in which to live. The BASICS...I get

BUT...
If you had to do it ALL OVER again, raising your ducks....WHAT would you DIFFERENTLY?
What would you have from the first day... to today that has been your "game changer"???
What would you throw to the side as... not really necessary?

Im new to ducks.... NOT NEW to poultry:thumbsup

🐔🦆 🐣 🦆 🐥🦆🐔

I would incubate all of my ducklings, and build them a real coop! Not just a secure wire box. A wire box is secure, but it gets so wet and nasty! I would also cover my run in soft mulch! Ducks are messy, and will turn a soft grassy run into a muck hole! That is what mine is like, bleh! I would also make a better pond, ours is kinda shadow, i would like to give it a real bottom, rather then just a hole in the dirt, to keep it cleaner. I also wouldn't get white created ducks. Had I known what those poor breeds go through I wouldn't have supported the breeding. Otherwise, I love my ducks, so happy to have them!

So, males can live together peacefully in a bachelor flock? Im not doing it for the eggs per say.... we just want some ducks.....
see, Im learning all kinds of things today :p
This si a fantastic idea! Then, you can rescue males from people who don't want them, and save some of there lives! And yes, they will live together peacefully, and happily! 😊

So, males can live together peacefully in a bachelor flock? Im not doing it for the eggs per say.... we just want some ducks.....
see, Im learning all kinds of things today :p
yep!! i have hens too so i keep my girls and boys seperated during mating seasons, my boys are super sweet and you don’t have to worry about overmating, egg bound issues, and more

rescue ducks are the best! especially in the spring i guarantee u can find some young males available for adopting that people bought and abandoned

yep!! i have hens too so i keep my girls and boys seperated during mating seasons, my boys are super sweet and you don’t have to worry about overmating, egg bound issues, and more

rescue ducks are the best! especially in the spring i guarantee u can find some young males available for adopting that people bought and abandoned
Such a great idea....
The husband thinks hes outnumbered by females anyways .... this should help :)

Back
Top Bottom