if you have more than one rooster

I bought some chicks and they grew up around the pre-existing flock. I had no idea for the longest time that 7 of the 8 were boys... the biggest boy started practicing crowing at about 12 weeks, the rest (of the boy chicks) stayed silent. When I figured out, 3 weeks ago, that 7 were boys I traded 3 for 11 phoenixes, one of which is a young roo. Two weeks ago I grabbed ANOTHER young roo (plus 2 more young ladies). The youngsters are now about 4, 5 months old and last week I got rid of (well, ate, really) original roo. Before original roo went in the pot, only the "big baby" and the newest roo crowed. Now, though it is still mainly just those two, the other young ones have taken to practicing their crows on occasion. The phoenix roo as of yet remains silent. Thankfully people in my neighbourhood love it or I swear I'd get hung by the toenails or something! It can get pretty bad when they're conversing with the roo on the next block or when my newest is at the neighbour's and checking to make sure big baby is treating his girls right (or whatever it is they talk about!) Nice thing about crowing, though, is it tips you off to their location - I can hear where they are without having to go outside and check on them and the ladies are ALWAYS near one rooster or another. I hear a crow come from my neighbour's, who HASN'T got chickens, and I know to go out and holler for the bugger(s) to come back!

But yeah, it all comes down to personality and who is/are the head honcho/honchos. I have more than one flock in my flock but they kind of intermingle, sometimes all chill together or the ladies switch which men they want to hang with. And although big baby is the most dominant of the 2 dominant roos, the head honchos are actually the elderly girls from original flock - go figure! (When I went to lock them up, big baby was actually nesting on the floor in the corner with some of the phoenixes :lau)

When I went in the run today I had my first crow! Not the 24 week old cream legbar, not the 21 week old welsummer but the 17 week old marans cross. He is the least friendly of the three, always keeps a good distance from me but today he stood a good 4m away, flapped his wings and crowed at me three or four times before the welsummer startef running towards him and he went to hide under a bush! I wonder if this will encourage the others to start?

Back
Top Bottom