If you kept only one breed...

I have
The question is simple: if you could only keep one breed, whether or not you have it now, which one would you choose? I realize that this is a hard question, as a lot of people keep different breeds for different reasons. But the fun questions are rarely the easy ones. :D
Silver Laced Wyndottes, Welsummers, Blue Laced Red Wyndottes and Bielefelders. The most loving is the Bielefelders and they seem to get along better than others. I have two roos with 7 hens and no squabbling at all. Hens love to be petted and crowd around like kids after candy. My most unusual eggs come from the Welsummers.. they are a rich brown with darker spots on them. They are my favorite eggs as they are unusual but the Bielefelders are my favorite chickens due to their friendly nature and they are good layers also.

So far I’d say Barred Rock. Sweet girl and reliable layer but this year I got a Bielefelder, at this point I can only comment on her personality since she is too young to lay. Out of my 7 girls she is by far the sweetest girl and actually loves to cuddle and super easy going with the others.

If I could only have one breed, but I could have it in multiple colors, I would pick hatchery-quality standard cornish (and I would then select for better egg laying, thus poorer meat production--so they would basically be dual-purpose chickens.)

Why? Because I like pea comb, clean legs, brown eggs, and multiple colors. Preferably in a dual-purpose type bird. (Easter Eggers don't lay brown eggs, Brahmas have feathered legs, Buckeyes only come in one color--there really aren't many pea-comb chicken breeds to choose from.)
I have two EEers who look totally different. Bertha is yellow and lays blue eggs and H. R. Puffinstuff (Puff or Puffipoo for short) is grey and lays brown eggs! Love them both.
0BB64352-4C1B-4E05-88AA-8A64EEE5A7E8.jpeg

Bertha after a hard day in the office...

5CDC1358-B639-4AFA-9F4E-C7E0C1665BD7.jpeg

Puffipoo last year before her first big molt. Her head is dark now.

The question is simple: if you could only keep one breed, whether or not you have it now, which one would you choose? I realize that this is a hard question, as a lot of people keep different breeds for different reasons. But the fun questions are rarely the easy ones. :D
I've had many different breeds. Not knocking anyone on their choices, it's all down to personal preferences, all of them are awesome!!
Easter Egger's are pretty cool. Good dual purpose and the colorful eggs are awesome. First time I showed my dad a dozen olive eggs (he never heard of them) he looked disgusted, said "they look rotten" 😆 Kids love the green eggs. I've had people I've gave eggs to say their kids would never eat eggs, and were amazed they loved mine, thought they were eating green eggs and ham 😆
If I was to pick one breed... It would have to have Naked Neck Turken in it. I never wanted them before thought they were ugly but now that I have them there is not any breed that can touch them in awesomeness. Awesome layers, awesome meat birds. They lay great. And for processing half the feathers and no hair absolutely no hair to singe off, even crosses have no hair. And any breed can be crossed to a Naked Neck.
Currently I mostly have Jersey Giant Naked Necks.

Back
Top Bottom