If you kept only one breed...

This is an old thread but...
Definitely Cochin Bantams hands down. Sweet sweet birds, I love their fluffy butts, the way they walk, everything about them. But their eggs are a tiny bit small. I wouldn’t count Easter Eggers as a breed, as they are mixes of many many breeds on their own, but that’s just my opinion. I wouldn’t get any more of those.
I prefer pure bred chickens. Now if you asked what COLOR, I would have to say either Blue Mottled, Birchen, Porcelain, or Millie Fluer.View attachment 2276297my MF girlView attachment 2276299my MF boy. These aren’t the best example of the breed, but they’re mine and I love them.
My blue roo

Attachments

• IMG_1407.JPG
    IMG_1407.JPG
    438.4 KB · Views: 1
My phoenixes. They raise chicks without any help, I've only lost 2 to predators, including a brain damaged male that a dog got, they may be small, but it i had a big enough flock, I could spare some for meat. Not to mention they're gorgeous birds

This is an old thread but...
Definitely Cochin Bantams hands down. Sweet sweet birds, I love their fluffy butts, the way they walk, everything about them. But their eggs are a tiny bit small. I wouldn’t count Easter Eggers as a breed, as they are mixes of many many breeds on their own, but that’s just my opinion. I wouldn’t get any more of those.
I prefer pure bred chickens. Now if you asked what COLOR, I would have to say either Blue Mottled, Birchen, Porcelain, or Millie Fluer.View attachment 2276297my MF girlView attachment 2276299my MF boy. These aren’t the best example of the breed, but they’re mine and I love them.
Oh my goodness, YES! Those big ole fluffy butts! I love to watch them trotting off. It's like each side of the behind moves independently, almost like a waddle. I was just talking about how much I love watching my Carlos run or walk swiftly away.

Australorps.

They're friendly, good foragers, great layers, hardy, good in most climates, broody, and heavy enough to eat. Downside to such a great bird is they eat a lot. And I like the green iridescent sheen on their black feathers when they're in good health.

The question is simple: if you could only keep one breed, whether or not you have it now, which one would you choose? I realize that this is a hard question, as a lot of people keep different breeds for different reasons. But the fun questions are rarely the easy ones. :D
Swedish Flower Hens: hands down. My girls are sweet, loving to me and each other as well as their other sisters who are not the same breed but of the exact same age and hatchery and shipping box. They are surprisingly heat tolerant which they proved to me this Summer with indices in the shade up to 110 in MS. Smart, curios, inquisitive, engaging, sharing- they are not food hogs and will let other hens go first and they act as if they understand that Mom has enough to insure that we will all have plenty to get full. My top three hens are all Flower Hens and it’s because of all these things and the fact that they will also protect one another and discipline one another if that is what it takes - like a watch dog food hog Black Orpington. !lol!

Australorps.

They're friendly, good foragers, great layers, hardy, good in most climates, broody, and heavy enough to eat. Downside to such a great bird is they eat a lot. And I like the green iridescent sheen on their black feathers when they're in good health.
I love that green sheen on my Black Orpingtons. They are so beautiful! It is hard to explain to folks about that green sheen and how iridescent it is and why. Mine have lavender in them also and they aren’t full grown yet but oh so good and gorgeous they are also.

Cream Legbars here.

Blue eggs, fun personalities, crests, sexable at hatch etc. We don't raise for meat so they're pretty close to the perfect chicken for us.

Honorable mention to silkies, orpingtons, barnevelders, and leghorns.
I agree also that Legbars are great. These are my second choice but they are some that I will always have some of. Do you have any pictures of yours?

Hard one, probably barred rock, bielefelder, or New Hampshire, leaning towards bielefelders. I love my colorful eggs but for sustainability I'd have to say these 3.

Back
Top Bottom