If you live close to a store that sells chickens...

lambchicks

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
North Carolina
Do you have to buy in bulk? I went to the TS today in hopes of getting 2 or 3 chicks and there was a sign that said you had to purchase at least 6 chicks.
What is the use in buying at the feed stores if you have to buy in bulk? Do any off the stores near you have this rule?

Your right, I always assumed TSC sold as many/few as you wanted. I have never heard of a minimum. They sound like they are worried they may not get rid of them or something.

I actually bought from a local breeder off craigslist and he didn't have a minimum quantity, but I just couldn't resist I bought eleven (yikes).

The 6 rule is usually a regulation to reduce people buying 1 for easter, or something like that. We don't have that here in Washington. Someone last year had success with buying 6 then immediately returning 3. Or splitting an order.

Imp

split your order with someone else in the store? if you are close to Monroe then you have several other options.

I did think about spliting a order with someone in the store, but there seemed to only be on other person interested in them. She complained that animals should not be sold "like this and that kids would hurt them" then pratically threw the chick that she was holding in her hand back in the tub. Made me mad, didn't really want to help her take some of those cute fuzzy butts home.
WOT: I am not really close to Monroe, but what is there?

secrest feed and seed, monroe hardware co both will sell you what you want in monroe nc. tsc here has six chick minimum. secrest feed and seed is getting ready to order, she is one block from PO and will order what you request. I have really good luck dealing with secrest feed in downtown

Talk to them. If they know you already have chickens, they may let you buy a smaller amount. Last year ours had the 6 minimum but I had no problem getting just 3 ducklings. I think it's mostly to avoid the impulse purchases.

There has to be a way of searching stores that could possibly sell chicks. 411? We have a few places that sell chicks here in my immediate area and they all have the 6 or more policy, but we had a feed/pet supply store open up nearby and they order chicks and will allow the purchase of 6 or less. They do charge $2.99 but their chicks are extremely well fed and they have less than the other places which allows the chicks to get fatter during their stay. I bought my Wyandottes and Austrolorps from this feed store.

Back
Top Bottom