If you pen your Muscovy can i see what it looks like?

Going Quackers

Crowing
12 Years
May 24, 2011
On, Canada
I'm sure most of you have read my posts, i have an predator that is attacking my flock in the day so now i am being forced to pen my birds vs free range. I truly have no idea how to go about it, they are such big birds. I also want it to attach to their barn as our winters are harsh and long.

Suggestions? ideas.. budget is a HUGE concern we had not planned on this type of expense and it is a hardship to do so.

I have the budget issue too and i found that if you get on your local craigslist and look under the free section you may find folks giving away pallets and wood crates they make awesome materials to make housing for birds even nest boxes saves money and recycles win win.

I have the budget issue too and i found that if you get on your local craigslist and look under the free section you may find folks giving away pallets and wood crates they make awesome materials to make housing for birds even nest boxes saves money and recycles win win.

Thanks, they have housing i just need to create a pen around it.. for the moment i have them penned in my dog yard lol

This is what I had in Florida. It was 16X24'. When it was finished it was covered completly in welded wire. I also put roofing on one end because it served as their nighttime shelter also. I only had a maximum of 11 ducks at one point though and not all muscovy. I only left them in here all day if I wasn't going to be home before dark.

You could get away with something similar just building a pen out of welded wire. Unless you cover it, you'll need at least 5' tall. For your number of ducks, you'd need 200-500 sq ft. You could get a roll of 5'X100' wire but it may be cost prohibitive. Here that runs about $100 then posts, metal fence posts ~$3 each need around 12. This wouldn't guarantee a fox or dog couldn't get over it but everything that I have read says 5' should deter them.

This is our duck yard which now is home to 2 muscovy juvie hens, a blue swede drake and a KC drake....we've since re-homed the gander (he was a bit of a ***hole LOL) It's approx. 24+ ft by 30+ ft. We just got some old fencing from a neighbor and used some logs from a tree another neighbor cut down. We only paid about $15 for the whole thing, coop included, for the price of screws. We've since added 3 ponds, another "coop" (just a large plastic dog house), a few decorative elements and a mister for these hot days.
smile.png

This is what I had in Florida. It was 16X24'. When it was finished it was covered completly in welded wire. I also put roofing on one end because it served as their nighttime shelter also. I only had a maximum of 11 ducks at one point though and not all muscovy. I only left them in here all day if I wasn't going to be home before dark.

You could get away with something similar just building a pen out of welded wire. Unless you cover it, you'll need at least 5' tall. For your number of ducks, you'd need 200-500 sq ft. You could get a roll of 5'X100' wire but it may be cost prohibitive. Here that runs about $100 then posts, metal fence posts ~$3 each need around 12. This wouldn't guarantee a fox or dog couldn't get over it but everything that I have read says 5' should deter them.

what a nice set-up, here metal fence posts are double that 6-7$ i won't even get into the cost of wire
roll.png
That is what i am up against, it simple won't be a 1-200$ job sadly.

This is our duck yard which now is home to 2 muscovy juvie hens, a blue swede drake and a KC drake....we've since re-homed the gander (he was a bit of a ***hole LOL) It's approx. 24+ ft by 30+ ft. We just got some old fencing from a neighbor and used some logs from a tree another neighbor cut down. We only paid about $15 for the whole thing, coop included, for the price of screws. We've since added 3 ponds, another "coop" (just a large plastic dog house), a few decorative elements and a mister for these hot days.
smile.png

What a great recycle job! i wish i could find stuff like that lol but your picture is helpful that sort of fence would go nicely around the barn they have.

I have been looking into electric fencing since my landlords brought their 2 cows back and they are busting through the fence and tearing up the duck/chicken/goose yard.
somad.gif

I know that prices are different there but I found (all at TSC) a charger for 2 miles of fencing for $30. The wire runs about $40 a spool. Luckily there is a roll of the wire here and then the grounding rod is $15. Post are $2 a piece and I already have them.

That may be the most economical and workable solution for you. I see ads for electric fencing on craigslist alot here.

I have been looking into electric fencing since my landlords brought their 2 cows back and they are busting through the fence and tearing up the duck/chicken/goose yard.
somad.gif

I know that prices are different there but I found (all at TSC) a charger for 2 miles of fencing for $30. The wire runs about $40 a spool. Luckily there is a roll of the wire here and then the grounding rod is $15. Post are $2 a piece and I already have them.

That may be the most economical and workable solution for you. I see ads for electric fencing on craigslist alot here.

Oh what a pain! i love cows but i wouldn't want that sort of hassle! I will check TSC site but i doubt stuff is that cheap, nothing is here.. we pay a lot more for things in general.

Found i think similar one here it's 56.99$ plus 13% tx it covers 2miles

http://www.tscstores.com/ENERGIZER-2MI-AC-LI-4CS-P17368.aspx

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom