If you ride horses I have a ? for you

Well I KNOW it is NOT because I am not putting enough weight in my stirrups. I have taken lessons with several different trainers at different times in my life and this past winter when looking for a horse I took with a "balanced seat" trainer.I went to brush up my equitation and work on my "chair seat" I have consistanly had an issue with getting my leg consistantly UNDER me.As in I had a straight line from ear to shoulder to hip but not heel. She as well as when I was taking dressage lessons said I had TOOO much weight in my heel.

So we spent a lot of time on exercises working on my chair seat and my heels not being SO VERY flexed. I know I improved AND I have had pictures taken know on this horse as well as at the show (on this horse) that show an improvement in the heels.

So it IS possible it is because I have changed equitation as well as the horse because I DON"T remember it when taking lessons this winter.But that was for an hour once a week.Now my DD and I spend 5-7 hours a week in the saddle.5-7 because school started(which also meant I started running again). Before that DD and I were riding 7-11 hours a week.

It COULD be the horse but I ain't changing that cuz I ADORE this girl and she is a perfect match for ME and I looked a LONG time.

Also since I trust this mare so much and she is so good on the trail I do think I could go without stirrups and I think I am going to try that.But also I am going to look at riding boots and see what I can find that is made more like a running shoe.

Two things you might try:

- cheap thing to try: buy cushion stirrup pads, I know Cashel used to make them but I have no clue what all is on the market now. You want things that either 'plug into' English stirrups, or velcro around (any) stirrups, with closed-cell foam to cushion where your foot sits in the iron. Make sure they do not cause the stirrup to be unsafe-ly small for your foot when they're on, although I have not had a problem with this myself. May work, may not, pretty cheap to try.

- more expensive to try, but maybe you could find someone who owns a pair you could borrow to see if they help: try a pair of WIDE-tread stirrup irons. (Wide may not be the right term, I mean that the portion your foot sits on is extra 'long' along the long axis of your foot, you know? so the tread has 2x or more the surface area of a normal stirrup). They used to be marketed for trail riders and for people with knee problems; I assume they are still sold somewhere, I'm just way out of the 'shopping for doodads' loop these days
tongue.png

Both of these are sometimes quite helpful for people with knee, ankle or foot pain when riding, so would probably be worth a whirl for you, opportunity permitting.

Also, are you making sure to warm up and stretch, thoroughly and properly, before mounting. That can make a significant difference too.

Good luck,

Pat

I also have this problem, but mine is in both feet. The last few times I have ridden have been very unpleasant because of this. I have not been diagnosed, however i have talked to people with similar issues and they're doctors said it was nerve damage. I have been in several car accidents so that makes sense to me for my own problems.

What I hate is the numb feet and then when I dismount the pain that goes thru my feet is awful.

Anyway good luck. If Im going to ride comfortably i cannot use stirrups but for just a little while, or in increments.

Back
Top Bottom