If You Were to Bet the Farm on One Breed . . .

some people do raise heritage breeds for meat. and they do get some money off of them. but those are in niche markets. some gourmet shefs only use heritage breeds of animals, because they typically have a better flavor to them, compared to cornish cross, precisely because they grow slower, finishing out in 24 weeks or so. It is an option, but you have to be sure you have a market for it first. Otherwise, you'll have alot of pretty pets.

Quote:
Don't worry, Keara, I'm not going to mortgage my coops just to get Coronation Sussex or Chocolate Orps.
wink.png

roll.png
Well of course your aren't, not when I already have Splits and you know that the Coronation will be available in my backyard soon!
lol.png

And, Greenfire Farm is finalizing the importation of Chocolate Orps to their farm.

Silly me.....
tongue.png
.....I'm just a hobbyist. Chose my first chickens for eggs, then my second batch for the green/blue eggs, then my third batch just because they were pretty in the catalog......and hatched out my fourth batch........just to experience hatching a unique breed.

So hmmm, what would I bet the farm on right now? I just don't think I can pin it down to one breed.......I've gotta keep things interesting because it's my source of enjoyment....

Hmmmm one breed, one breed.....OK. Hands down it would be the Speckled Sussex. Good dual purpose breed, very good egg layers. And they're really pretty!

I think for looks and high egg production it would be Anconas,but just looks the silver spangled hamburg would make a nice flock.Clean-legged varieties have less complications from mud caking on there toes.
big_smile.png

I'd go with the Barred Plymouth Rocks too!
Great, funny personalities - easy care, the best foragers,
(Mine even get frogs & salamanders from the creek!)
good layers, tasty meat when the Roos get big! Pretty patterns,
fun to breed for selecting, a little broody too.
They'd be my pick!
cool.png

Quote:
Don't worry, Keara, I'm not going to mortgage my coops just to get Coronation Sussex or Chocolate Orps.
wink.png

Oh good!
tongue.png
In that case for my next breed I am looking at those beautiful wyandottes. Good looking, Egg and Meat, cold hardy, and nice tempermant (or so I hear). Can't wait to try them out next year! Did I mention how good looking they are.
droolin.gif

From what I have noticed selling around here, white leghorns are the best, followed by reds. they lay great and people recognize them, they don't really care of it lays chocolate eggs or if it's soft or will sit in their lap. When I let them look in the box and take what they want, most will take a white chick over a colorful one almost every time.

BTW, EEs are very popular also.

This is just in my area, I don't know about yours.

Back
Top Bottom