I'll answer your quail housing questions!

Currently I have a 5’x3’x3’ wire cage. It’s not working. I want to, essentially quarter it, but want to make the process as efficient as possible without too much cutting.

For me, it takes 7 months for a patch of grass foraged on by birds to re-grow grass. So if you like the idea of the quail tractor, then you'll have a dirt spot if you let the birds forage too long in that spot.

Normally, its good if you get pairs (ie 2 males, 2 females). Although, some places you will see 3-4 females per male. It's better off with pairs.

Egg production is minimal since quail are proficient layers (every time they lay an egg it's a HUGE strain on their reproduction part).

I do about 1-2 square feet per quail. It's good to give them space.

It depends on your liking, but my quail love sand. Wood shavings get stinky FAST and my quail prefer sand. In my experience, quail refuse nesting boxes and just lay in the sand. You can collect eggs by just going in their run and having a mini easter egg hunt. If you don't free range, it will be easier to find eggs.

I use a metal roof, but I don't know about Florida. Probably something weather resistant I'm guessing.

I check my feeders and waterers daily.

Tractors are on the ground. Hutches are raised.

Hope this helps! :)
Thank you for the detailed response. Yes in Florida dur summer grass grows like crazy. I like the idea of sand but hope to move them before grass burnout. I have a non traveled strip I think will work good. But it’s the furthest from the house and I would not be able to keep close tabs on them there.
But in the interest of time did find plastic grid coops that looked interesting. Found them on hatching time.com 3 condos per row looks like 2 Birds per condo. I think you could stack 5 high if you wanted I think that’s too high for me. But worry if this is great for the birds seems great for me. It would allow the placement of more boys. not Much fun there for the birds. but could put a sand box (sm.) tiny plant? Hide box? The feeding and water would bequick and easy. What do you think....?

Back
Top Bottom