I'll answer your quail housing questions!

Hi , thanks for making this thread !

I'm building a quail hutch and i was wondering if anything should be changed before it's done...I've got three adult quail and five chicks that are just feathering out , the hutch is ,7ft something or other long and ,3 ft ..something wide and 36 inch's high . I'll be bulding a sandbox and hide into it , this is just the skeleton .
IMG_20200916_143503.jpg
IMG_20200916_143521.jpg

I don't want to do legs ..but if you think I should l might . I'll be using hardware cloth . The side with the smaller peice of wood will be the sand box .

So my questions are , should I do legs , if so why ? This is big enough right ? Is this a good design ?

Please note that I'm using junk wood, so I'm working with what I have .

Thanks !

Cresty .

It's too high. You want it either short enough that they can't build up enough speed to hurt themselves or high enough that they don't get that high. Quail will flush and if there's a hard surface above them, they can and will break their own necks.

People who do hutch style enclosures do legs to keep the birds out of predator reach. I keep mine on the ground, but I don't get burrowing predators where I am.

It's too high. You want it either short enough that they can't build up enough speed to hurt themselves or high enough that they don't get that high. Quail will flush and if there's a hard surface above them, they can and will break their own necks.

People who do hutch style enclosures do legs to keep the birds out of predator reach. I keep mine on the ground, but I don't get burrowing predators where I am.
Ok thanks ! Would insulating the top work to prevent the quail from getting hurt if they were to fly upwards ?

Hi , thanks for making this thread !

I'm building a quail hutch and i was wondering if anything should be changed before it's done...I've got three adult quail and five chicks that are just feathering out , the hutch is ,7ft something or other long and ,3 ft ..something wide and 36 inch's high . I'll be bulding a sandbox and hide into it , this is just the skeleton . View attachment 2356832View attachment 2356833

I don't want to do legs ..but if you think I should l might . I'll be using hardware cloth . The side with the smaller peice of wood will be the sand box .

So my questions are , should I do legs , if so why ? This is big enough right ? Is this a good design ?

Please note that I'm using junk wood, so I'm working with what I have .

Thanks !

Cresty .

Your dimesions are perfect, and it's big enough!

Also, good for you for recycling wood!

Legs are more a personal preference. I have legs on mine since I have a very heavy hutch. If you have legs on it, it's just off the ground. In my opinion, your quail hutch skeleton is perfect the way it is. :thumbsup

Here is my setup!! I have four currently wuth one in isolation, any tips?? Thank you!
View attachment 2359574View attachment 2359575
If you are re-encorperating the other one, I would say to re-introduce the bird in 2 steps:
1) Put the isolated quail's cage right next to your normal coop (they can get used to the new bird, but not hurt it

2) Slowy incorperate it. 1 hour day 1, 4 hours day 2, etc.

Nice setup!

If you are re-encorperating the other one, I would say to re-introduce the bird in 2 steps:
1) Put the isolated quail's cage right next to your normal coop (they can get used to the new bird, but not hurt it

2) Slowy incorperate it. 1 hour day 1, 4 hours day 2, etc.

Nice setup!
Oh, the isolated one was the one being the rude one! My ornery little scissorbeak. The main issues got sorted out mostly, and they’re all just giving each other space right now. Usually it takes about a week for them to fully “like” each other!

Back
Top Bottom