I'll answer your quail housing questions!

Hi,
I have a small coop for my quail, with a tray as the floor. Autumn is coming with colder days and nights, and the flock started molting a couple of weeks ago and stopped laying. So I have recently insulated the coop and installed light with a timer to compensate for shorter daylight and an infrared heating lamp with a temp sensor so it only turns on when the temperature drops below 15C/59F at night and 20C/68F in day. 2 eggs appeared 2 days ago and one yesterday, so it seems it made them more comfy.
I am thinking of replacing wooden chips bedding, with sand. I thought it could be easier to clean and safer (inflammable) and allow them to sand bathe anytime.
Do you think it's a good idea?

View attachment 2350201

View attachment 2350202

Personally, If you want more eggs, use the light but if they are japaneese (Coturnix) or Bobwhites they should do fine in the cooler weather.

When it comes to bedding, I use sand and it works great! You just clean it out using a kitty litter scoop and every couple of months, you change the sand. That is a great idea!

It seems like your quail are living like royalty! 👑

Hi y'all,
I've been toying with the idea of getting quail. I'm not sure if I will, but I have a few questions.
If I were to house quail outside, would I have to provide heat in the winter?
Would a coop work for them, or is a hutch better?
Sorry if they're common questions, just thought I'd ask. Thanks!
Hi, I agree with what everyone else said!

Also, I use a hutch but it depends on your preferences. If you want a smaller space, get a hutch. If you want them to have a flight pen (so they can fly around) you can use a coop.

I own Northern Bobwhites, and they seem to do fine in cooler weather without a lamp. ALTHOUGH if you want to continue getting eggs in the winter, use a lamp/light. As long as your coop has some sort of insulation, it should be fine.

In the end, quail are crazy but they are so fun and (to a degree) easy!

Hi, I agree with what everyone else said!

Also, I use a hutch but it depends on your preferences. If you want a smaller space, get a hutch. If you want them to have a flight pen (so they can fly around) you can use a coop.

I own Northern Bobwhites, and they seem to do fine in cooler weather without a lamp. ALTHOUGH if you want to continue getting eggs in the winter, use a lamp/light. As long as your coop has some sort of insulation, it should be fine.

In the end, quail are crazy but they are so fun and (to a degree) easy!
Ok, thanks for the input!
Now I really want quail lol. Maybe someday in the future... :fl

I’m wondering if this is a good coop for Conturnix quail? I’m hoping to hatch some soon, and I know all quail like different types of enclosures.
82C02BD2-E01C-43A4-BA07-669A3AAD88F9.jpeg

Do quail use vertical space? I know that they can fly well, but would they actually use and enjoy that extra vertical space, with things to perch/hop on?

I’m wondering if this is a good coop for Conturnix quail? I’m hoping to hatch some soon, and I know all quail like different types of enclosures. View attachment 2350321
I would cover it with 1/2" hardware cloth rather than chicken wire. Predators will go right through that. They also need a place to rest their feet from the wire. Dirt boxes work well because that give them a rest for their feet as well as dirt baths.

Do quail use vertical space? I know that they can fly well, but would they actually use and enjoy that extra vertical space, with things to perch/hop on?
Quail are ground birds, so they don't use vertical space much. They can fly, but they're not going to perch or climb.

I would like to get into Quail and just starting research. I am in S. Florida so it's hot most of the time. I would like to do a tractor because I like to the idea of free ranging and all that that has to offer. Plus I like the idea of keeping the birds on new turf. Do you think if I used a strip of land that was say 100 feet long do you think the droppings would eventually build up and kill off my grass. I think I am ok, but felt I needed to ask. We get lots of rain, I am thinking it will just wash in. I am sure the question of how many birds are we talking needs an answer. IDK I want them for egg production on a small scale . Am I better with more smaller cages or load up on the girls and have a few boys in there, or how many boys could you have with multiple girls. I see YouTube videos and they are packed in. BTW I don't want to do that. I mentioned the hot climate I was concerned having a roof so close to them radiating heat. Maybe the plastic corrugated roof that a dark charcoal color to block off some uv rays would work, or white? but still concerned with the shallow coops I see. Next I like how some have put a sand box on the side for dusting, I think that is great and would they lay their eggs in a nest box or is it just lay anywhere and run. How would I collect the eggs. When you have a tractor that is low to the ground how do you service the feeders and waterers? Sorry for so many questions but you said I could lol. TIA

343F74BD-D8EC-472B-B6E9-73797BD0EC6A.jpeg
I made this nut not how to finish front. Left some extra for egg catcher. want to put auto feeder

i love the other quail house

I would like to get into Quail and just starting research. I am in S. Florida so it's hot most of the time. I would like to do a tractor because I like to the idea of free ranging and all that that has to offer. Plus I like the idea of keeping the birds on new turf. Do you think if I used a strip of land that was say 100 feet long do you think the droppings would eventually build up and kill off my grass. I think I am ok, but felt I needed to ask. We get lots of rain, I am thinking it will just wash in. I am sure the question of how many birds are we talking needs an answer. IDK I want them for egg production on a small scale . Am I better with more smaller cages or load up on the girls and have a few boys in there, or how many boys could you have with multiple girls. I see YouTube videos and they are packed in. BTW I don't want to do that. I mentioned the hot climate I was concerned having a roof so close to them radiating heat. Maybe the plastic corrugated roof that a dark charcoal color to block off some uv rays would work, or white? but still concerned with the shallow coops I see. Next I like how some have put a sand box on the side for dusting, I think that is great and would they lay their eggs in a nest box or is it just lay anywhere and run. How would I collect the eggs. When you have a tractor that is low to the ground how do you service the feeders and waterers? Sorry for so many questions but you said I could lol. TIA
For me, it takes 7 months for a patch of grass foraged on by birds to re-grow grass. So if you like the idea of the quail tractor, then you'll have a dirt spot if you let the birds forage too long in that spot.

Normally, its good if you get pairs (ie 2 males, 2 females). Although, some places you will see 3-4 females per male. It's better off with pairs.

Egg production is minimal since quail are proficient layers (every time they lay an egg it's a HUGE strain on their reproduction part).

I do about 1-2 square feet per quail. It's good to give them space.

It depends on your liking, but my quail love sand. Wood shavings get stinky FAST and my quail prefer sand. In my experience, quail refuse nesting boxes and just lay in the sand. You can collect eggs by just going in their run and having a mini easter egg hunt. If you don't free range, it will be easier to find eggs.

I use a metal roof, but I don't know about Florida. Probably something weather resistant I'm guessing.

I check my feeders and waterers daily.

Tractors are on the ground. Hutches are raised.

Hope this helps! :)

Back
Top Bottom