Illegal to Advertise Nest Run Eggs as "Fresh" or "Local"?

Pics

Outta Here

Songster
May 17, 2021
Wow! Just learned this: Arizona law says anyone who sells eggs must be registered as a nest run producer and that they must put their name and address on the carton! What they can't do is use a carton with another manufacturer's name or any carton that says "Fresh" or "Local"!

And yet everybody's doing it!!! They even sell those cute egg cartons pre-printed with "Fresh" and "Local" on Amazon! I want to print up a label that says "Organic, Soy-Free, Omega-3 eggs." Looks like there is no law against that, but I can't say they're fresh? Or local? Sheesh!

P.S. I don't even want to know whether you can reuse cartons legally!!!

Here's a bit of the publication:
===========================

NOTE: Nest run eggs may not be advertised or sold as “fresh eggs” or “local eggs” because A.R.S.
§ 3-724 requires that eggs marked as fresh or local meet the requirement for Grade A or higher. Nest run eggs cannot meet this requirement, because they are not graded for quality.

A.R.S. § 3-724. Misrepresentation of quality

A. No person shall advertise or sell eggs as fresh eggs or represent them to be fresh eggs unless they meet the requirements for grade A or better.

B. No person shall advertise, represent or sell eggs as local eggs unless the eggs have been produced within this state and meet the requirements for A or better.

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 5.27.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 5.42.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 5.42.56 PM.png

It does make sense that you’d need to be registered/have a license of some sort to sell eggs, but not being able to use the words “fresh” or “local” is a bit bizarre. If your not selling eggs and just giving them away to people I imagine you’d be able to reuse the egg cartoons, it’s just when your selling they don’t want people to be able to buy I heap of cheap eggs then use the cartoons and sell eggs for twice the price. They also don’t want people to feel like they’re getting scammed if they see the same egg cartoon in the shop and think you just stuck a fancy label over the top then gave them the same eggs.

Parts of this law make sense, but parts of it are just plain stupid.

Wow! Just learned this: Arizona law says anyone who sells eggs must be registered as a nest run producer and that they must put their name and address on the carton! What they can't do is use a carton with another manufacturer's name or any carton that says "Fresh" or "Local"!

And yet everybody's doing it!!! They even sell those cute egg cartons pre-printed with "Fresh" and "Local" on Amazon! I want to print up a label that says "Organic, Soy-Free, Omega-3 eggs." Looks like there is no law against that, but I can't say they're fresh? Or local? Sheesh!

P.S. I don't even want to know whether you can reuse cartons legally!!!

Here's a bit of the publication:
===========================

NOTE: Nest run eggs may not be advertised or sold as “fresh eggs” or “local eggs” because A.R.S.
§ 3-724 requires that eggs marked as fresh or local meet the requirement for Grade A or higher. Nest run eggs cannot meet this requirement, because they are not graded for quality.

A.R.S. § 3-724. Misrepresentation of quality

A. No person shall advertise or sell eggs as fresh eggs or represent them to be fresh eggs unless they meet the requirements for grade A or better.

B. No person shall advertise, represent or sell eggs as local eggs unless the eggs have been produced within this state and meet the requirements for A or better.

View attachment 2774717

View attachment 2774718View attachment 2774719
Yes, I have seen that too. Even at our local Farmers Market in Prescott, people re-use commercial cartons. The cartons I get as Tractor Supply say, "Delicious eggs Homegrown".
They do not claim "fresh", but there is a place for your name and the date.

Ah, I missed that one, thanks, but I'm not surprised and I guess it makes sense. People who pay a premium for organic should be getting truly organic instead of just the seller's say so. When I was feeding my own whole grain diet, all of the eight grains were organic, bought from Azure Standard--except the alfalfa pellets. I could see somebody's yielding to temptation to just go ahead and label the eggs organic, which wouldn't be true.
Once I paid highly to buy my husband underwear that was 95% organic cotton and 5% elastane (for the waistband). Come to find out the elastane was not just the waistband, but the chemically produced polyurethane fabric was interwoven throughout the "100% organic" cotton, making the pure cotton null and the price indefensible. So I'm glad regulations exist to protect the consumer.

p.s. But when some regulations become ridiculous and overreaching (it used to be illegal to sing Happy Birthday without paying Warner/Chappell Music), I do admit to bypassing them, using my conscience and the spirit of the law.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom