illinois towns that allow backyard chickens

I took this from the wauconda ordinaince website

"
§ 95.22 DEFINITIONS.

It shall be a nuisance:
(A) To obstruct or encroach upon any street, parkway, alley or sidewalk in the village, except for purposes of repairing the same;
(B) To use or occupy any part of a street, parkway, alley or sidewalk in the village for the purpose of carrying on, soliciting or promoting any trade, business or other enterprise in such manner as to impede or make it dangerous to persons traveling thereon;
(C) To conduct, or permit any business to be conducted, upon any lot or parcel of land within the village in violation of any provision of this Code;
(D) To create or permit to remain any condition which is, or may become, a menace to the health of individuals or the public;
(E) To keep, or permit to be kept, upon any premises within the village any chicken coop, chicken house, stable, kennel, pen or other structure for the retention, care and shelter of any
chapter95healthandsanitationnuisances
fowl
or animals in an unclean, unsanitary or filthy condition so as to produce offensive and noisome odors to the annoyance and discomfort of others;
(F) To cause or suffer the carcass of any dead animal, any animal or vegetable matter, slops, swill, suds, garbage, filth, stable drippings, offal or noisome substances of any kind to be collected, deposited or remain in any place in the village to the injury or prejudice of others;
(G) To keep or permit to be kept upon any premises within the village a dog, other animal or
fowl
which, by loud, frequent or continuous noise, is offensive and annoying to others;"

§ 95.22 DEFINITIONS.

It shall be a nuisance:
(A) To obstruct or encroach upon any street, parkway, alley or sidewalk in the village, except for purposes of repairing the same;
(B) To use or occupy any part of a street, parkway, alley or sidewalk in the village for the purpose of carrying on, soliciting or promoting any trade, business or other enterprise in such manner as to impede or make it dangerous to persons traveling thereon;
(C) To conduct, or permit any business to be conducted, upon any lot or parcel of land within the village in violation of any provision of this Code;
(D) To create or permit to remain any condition which is, or may become, a menace to the health of individuals or the public;
(E) To keep, or permit to be kept, upon any premises within the village any chicken coop, chicken house, stable, kennel, pen or other structure for the retention, care and shelter of any
fowl
or animals in an unclean, unsanitary or filthy condition so as to produce offensive and noisome odors to the annoyance and discomfort of others;
(F) To cause or suffer the carcass of any dead animal, any animal or vegetable matter, slops, swill, suds, garbage, filth, stable drippings, offal or noisome substances of any kind to be collected, deposited or remain in any place in the village to the injury or prejudice of others;
(G) To keep or permit to be kept upon any premises within the village a dog, other animal or
fowl
which, by loud, frequent or continuous noise, is offensive and annoying to others;

That sounds to me like you can have chickens as long as you keep the area clean, and the chickens quiet (no roosters). As long as your neighbors weren't offended or annoyed by crowing, then it sounds like you could even have roosters.

Bartonville also allows chickens, in fact the police chief has a flock of around a hundred from what a friend of mine on the Bartonville police told me.

That sounds to me like you can have chickens as long as you keep the area clean, and the chickens quiet (no roosters). As long as your neighbors weren't offended or annoyed by crowing, then it sounds like you could even have roosters.

Well, of course that's what it's saying. But, it would seem, that when a fellow BYC member inquired about chickens he was told no. However, the village is willing to discuss and would like further information. I'm waiting to see what happens in neighboring towns.
Until then, there is a chickens4wauconda facebook page but I haven't done much with it yet.

Last edited:
Well, of course that's what it's saying. But, it would seem, that when a fellow BYC member inquired about chickens he was told no. However, the village is willing to discuss and would like further information. I'm waiting to see what happens in neighboring towns.
Until then, there is a chickens4wauconda facebook page but I haven't done much with it yet.

Sorry, I skimmed through the thread to see if Pekin (where I live) and Bartonville (where a coworker of mine lives) were listed. I should have gone back to read the post that that was a response to more thoroughly in order to get the context better.

Anyone here from Burbank, IL? I know they are not allowed, I was trying to see if there is anyone out there that knows of anyone trying to change the ordinance.

Hey Nate's mom:

I asked Mayor Tovo last year face to face if Monee allowed chickens and he said NO. (Like, how could you even consider such a thing, dummy?).

My mom lives there, and would definitely join the fight to own chickens!!!!

Rachel

I called the village (of Monee) & they said it's not allowed, but that there have been people asking about it, so I know I would have some support. Now I just need to figure out what needs to be done to get it approved. Any suggestions would be welcome. I don't even know where to begin to get this.

Back
Top Bottom