illinois towns that allow backyard chickens

I have a chicken tractor like that. Basically, I put my chicks & younger pullets in there during the day.(Hawk protection.) At night I put everyone in the coop. The nice part is how I move it to new grass, so no cleaning.

I allow the chickens over 16wks to just free range with the flock & roo. Until then, the "nuggets" are trained to walk to the tractor in the morning & the coop at night. It's so funny when I move to a completely diff area of the yard. They run to the old spot then run around in circles until they find their tractor. Poor, confused, little chickens.
lau.gif

When I decide their old enough, they still go to the tractor in the am, but I leave the door open. Eventually they explore their surroundings, but they always have their tractor for food, water, & safety.

I have 3 bantams and 4 pulleys plus 2 rabbits in their but they all get along and I let them all outside everyday and surprisingly the chickens fallow the rabbits and the rooster fallows the pullets who are 2 months

I can't understand any town that allows pets will not allow a few chickens,they are alot less threat or troubling than a dog.I quess some people are not educated enough yet.Good luck to all about changing things and making things right.I am glad I am a country boy,pretty much do what you want.

Tonight is the night for voting in our Ordinance. Gonna have my permit check written out and in my hand ready to hand it to the Village. Seems like it has taken forever. But I know there will be six family chickens ready for a home. ;)

Last edited:
Sunnyacres Nest, there are many advantages and disadvantages to both. I was raised in the country and married a city boy who insisted on city life. But it took 40+ yrs for him to appreciate the country. Being in the Midwest, our last 2-3 winters have been exhausting with snow removal.
My hubby is wondering how I will fair walking 50ft to the coop in the snow. As I said I am a country girl. Strong and resilient. And determined. And with a fenced in backyard. I won't have to worry about getting lost in a snowstorm while tending my flock

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom