Illinois...

Our puppy tried to get into the bathroom trash can today. This is how I knew:
View attachment 1646212 View attachment 1646213

:lau
This puppy gets into everything. He knows how to open most doors in our house, so locking him out of a room only works if we actually use LOCKS.

Apparently he stuck his head all the way into the can & took the lid with him when pulling his head out.

Poor pup is getting neutered at the end of the month, so I guess he better get used to wearing a cone.
:lauGood practice

I went to the feed store today. Had to get chicken feed, scratch, bedding and something to feed the quail chicks. I got home, loaded everything into the shed, and then layed the new bedding material down. I collected an egg from the heating boxes and put it in my jacket pocket. I do it all the time when collecting eggs even though I have a small basket just for collecting eggs. I came in after getting things settled in the shed/coop, and then had to tend to the quail chicks. I took off my jacket and tossed it onto a table. I remembered 15 minutes later I had an egg in my pocket... Yep! I cracked the egg in my jacket pocket. :he
Most of the egg was still on the shell, but enough white leaked into my pocket to make a mess. The egg that was left in the shell didn't go to waste. I scrambled it and ate it with some ketchup - my favorite way to eat a scrambled egg.

Last edited:
I went to the feed store today. Had to get chicken feed, scratch, bedding and something to feed the quail chicks. I got home, loaded everything into the shed, and then layed the new bedding material down. I collected an egg from the heating boxes and put it in my jacket pocket. I do it all the time when collecting eggs even though I have a small basket just for collecting eggs. I came in after getting things settled in the shed/coop, and then had to tend to the quail chicks. I took off my jacket and tossed it onto a table. I remembered 15 minutes later I had an egg in my pocket... Yep! I cracked the egg in my jacket pocket. :he
Most of the egg was still on the shell, but enough white leaked into my pocket to make a mess. The egg that was left in the shell didn't go to waste. I scrambled it and ate it with some ketchup - my favorite way to eat a scrambled egg.
:yuckyuck
Yep. I've done that. More than once!:oops:

Welcome to the club!

In winter I often put an egg or 2 (if a good day) in my pocket because there's not a good reason to bring out the basket. As I'm cleaning the coop or putting away stuff in the garage, I may use my hip to bump the door open. Squish! That's how I usually remember the egg

At our house we each have an old backyard "chicken coat" & our "chicken shoes" at the backdoor. (For the growing kids, it's always last year's coat & boots.) Because they're used for chicken chores they can get quite dirty. When an egg cracks & oozes through the pocket & all over my gloves, I know it's time to wash the old coat.

Hi! I’m in Northern Illinois, North of Rockford. I am looking for some chicks for my son’s first year of 4-H. We’ve got the Asiatic class covered, and Welsummers and Legbars on order. I’m looking for anyone within a reasonable distance with quality large fowl and bantams. Also looking for guineas and pheasants. Thanks!!!

I collected an egg from the heating boxes and put it in my jacket pocket. I do it all the time when collecting eggs even though I have a small basket just for collecting eggs. I came in after getting things settled in the shed/coop, and then had to tend to the quail chicks. I took off my jacket and tossed it onto a table.

In this house, we call that a "pocket omlette"!

Just remember to let the pocket dry out - BEFORE putting your gloves back in there. BTDT...I had pocket omlette glove, ewwww!

:frow So sorry to have been away for a while - busy with indoor work (weaving).

Our flock of Black Java's and Swedish Flower Hens are doing well. The SFH cockerels have developed nicely - have 2 to choose from for this spring's hatch. The Black Java cockerel is the boss though, and for some reason, is THE BIGGEST Java I have ever had (10yrs now). His head literally comes up to my hip bone - and I'm 5'6"! The hens heads come up just to my knee. I'm grateful, he's friendly, because he's so big, he could whollop me something fierce. But then he'd get to go to Camp Frigidaire...

Despite the snow and cold, our hens are again producing like it's springtime. :eek: Is there something I don't know?! Anyone else's hens going gangbusters?

:frow So sorry to have been away for a while - busy with indoor work (weaving).

Our flock of Black Java's and Swedish Flower Hens are doing well. The SFH cockerels have developed nicely - have 2 to choose from for this spring's hatch. The Black Java cockerel is the boss though, and for some reason, is THE BIGGEST Java I have ever had (10yrs now). His head literally comes up to my hip bone - and I'm 5'6"! The hens heads come up just to my knee. I'm grateful, he's friendly, because he's so big, he could whollop me something fierce. But then he'd get to go to Camp Frigidaire...

Despite the snow and cold, our hens are again producing like it's springtime. :eek: Is there something I don't know?! Anyone else's hens going gangbusters?
My hens started going strong again just until the temps really tanked over the past few days. We went two days without eggs and now 1 or two a day again. We have 6 hens that lay and 1 coming into laying 1 of these days - the cold is not helping.

I had to bare witness to my 2 year old having a tantrum a bit ago because he wanted to go out to see the chickens and we said no.
:barnie

:lau Kids & animals will always make you laugh. You're lucky. With both you're guaranteed much amusement.

Your DS sounds a lot like mine. I'm sure I shared with you the story of a restaurant tantrum when he kept spitting out hard boiled eggs and screaming, "I want a REAL egg!" through his tears. (It was his 1st time tasting a store egg. He was not only used to eating backyard eggs, but also liked to pick out which hen it came from.)

Back
Top Bottom