Illinois...

I really like the look of these 2 girls.... but where's the mohawk?

Its real small right now, but i do think they have one. Only time will tell if it will look like my other sportzington. Im wondering if she has a more defined crest due to the dad being the spitz. These girls are opposite with dad being the orp. I wonder what kind of crest I'd get with jake over the EE girls since they have the CCL crest, but solid coloring?Hmmmm....
Is that fine wood shavings? I only find the pine shavings which are much larger...
It is aspen chip bedding. You can only get it at Prairieland Feeds in Champaign or Animal Feeds and needs in Arlington Heights which of course is much closer. I came through Champaign on my way home so i picked up 7 bags. My dad uses it for his guinea pigs. You can just sift through and pick it every morning. Over time though, it does seem to create a lot of dust, but i still like it so i can pick it everyday. My OCD wont do deep bedding method.

My garden... :hit
Nothing I am doing seems to be going right around here... no turkeys hatched and lived, my quail are not laying eggs, and now my garden is flooded.
This is just half the water that was there this morning. I took this picture when I got home from work.
We put 2x3 boards down to edge a permanent path. They were completely under water in the back (right of picture) of the garden this morning. They are still half submerged now. To top it off we are getting a thunderstorm tomorrow with 0.6" of rain - may not sound like a lot, but it sure is.
Fortunately, i haven't planted anything yet. Unfortunately though, I need to plant soon to get a harvest from some of the fruits and vegetables that take a long time to grow like pumpkin, winter squash, watermelon, and eggplant (the eggplant are started in pots at least). I am also worried about weeds taking over if I don't get vegetables growing.
20190501_183748.jpg

When things in garden start to grow, use your grass clippings as mulch. You may also consider getting some clippings from neighbors as well. (I see a large garden area needing much mulch) I use that method and it does keep the weeds at bay. When weeds do surface, they are easily plucked. :thumbsup
It also make walking clean when soil is muddy.

When things in garden start to grow, use your grass clippings as mulch. You may also consider getting some clippings from neighbors as well. (I see a large garden area needing much mulch) I use that method and it does keep the weeds at bay. When weeds do surface, they are easily plucked. :thumbsup
It also make walking clean when soil is muddy.
This garden was freshly tilled this year. We had a very different configuration last year with much more limited growing space. We intend to do exactly that though. Neighbors bag yard waste and put it out Monday for pickup on Tuesday. I intend to grab bags on Monday evenings. I need to know who uses chemicals on their lawn though, so I will chat with them before taking any bags of clippings. Additionally I am going to use wood mulch on the permanent pathway.

Nothing I am doing seems to be going right around here... no turkeys hatched and lived, my quail are not laying eggs, and now my garden is flooded.
This is just half the water that was there this morning. I took this picture when I got home from work.
We put 2x3 boards down to edge a permanent path. They were completely under water in the back (right of picture) of the garden this morning. They are still half submerged now. To top it off we are getting a thunderstorm tomorrow with 0.6" of rain - may not sound like a lot, but it sure is.
Fortunately, i haven't planted anything yet. Unfortunately though, I need to plant soon to get a harvest from some of the fruits and vegetables that take a long time to grow like pumpkin, winter squash, watermelon, and eggplant (the eggplant are started in pots at least). I am also worried about weeds taking over if I don't get vegetables growing.
View attachment 1760157
I don't plant eggplant tomatoes and other plants that need hot weather until after mother's day
Now I have cool season crops out. Kale onions, cabbage and such

So don't worry about the eggplant, they can wait

I don't plant eggplant tomatoes and other plants that need hot weather until after mother's day
Now I have cool season crops out. Kale onions, cabbage and such

So don't worry about the eggplant, they can wait

Sorry to turn this into a gardening forum, but do you plant eggplant from seed after Mother's Day and get a crop later in the summer? I have never had success planting eggplant from seed because it seemed that the growing season was just too short. This year I purchased eggplant plants started in 2 1/2" pots. If seed will grow and produce fruit so late, maybe I need to give it a try again...

Sorry to turn this into a gardening forum, but do you plant eggplant from seed after Mother's Day and get a crop later in the summer? I have never had success planting eggplant from seed because it seemed that the growing season was just too short. This year I purchased eggplant plants started in 2 1/2" pots. If seed will grow and produce fruit so late, maybe I need to give it a try again...
I put plants out after mother's day

You put in your ZIP code and it tells when to start indoor and plant out

In good news, my new chicken run has stayed fairly dry through all this recent rain. :) Last year it was located right where the garden flooded the worst. The area it in now has been raised a bit over the past 2-3 years form me just throwing excess rock, dirt and woody things (large weeds, sticks and twigs) in the area behind the shed. My laziness apparently proved to be beneficial.

In good news, my new chicken run has stayed fairly dry through all this recent rain. :) Last year it was located right where the garden flooded the worst. The area it in now has been raised a bit over the past 2-3 years form me just throwing excess rock, dirt and woody things (large weeds, sticks and twigs) in the area behind the shed. My laziness apparently proved to be beneficial.
:ya

the area I piled up 2 acres of cut grass is about 6" higher than it was. so it is squishy but I don't lose a boot anymore
:celebrate

Back
Top Bottom