Illinois...

Don't you hate it when you realize that they were set at an inconvenient hatch date. I have pulled the eggs because of that
Yes... I had to st them though because I didn't want to hold the eggs over a week. Its 75F in our house, which is a bit warm to store the eggs. Had I been able to keep them away 60F, I would have waited up to 10 days.

Our incubator is running. :D We set 41 quail eggs. We set the eggs in 2 batches: 27 eggs initially and then 14 more eggs three days later. We have 10 days left on the initial 27 eggs, 13 days on the other 14 eggs. We pulled 3 today after candling, not sure which batch they are from though... I really should've marked the eggs. :he
I realixed today though the first batch of eggs are due to hatch on 8/8, when I'll be out of town. DW will have to manage the hatch for me. :hugs (She's probably going to actually be thinking :smack).

I just realized my fertility rate is 98%. Wow, those quail really have been at it...

Well, after the d#$% coyote came back yesterday and got one of my baby spitzies, i was upset but feeling real proud of my pup which help chase it off. Today I'm upset and really ticked off at the same pup who just killed my micro chicken Tiny. A female none the less. It was my fault for bringing hime in and getting distracted while doing an overhaul cleaning on the coop, but i thought he was done with his "playing" with the chickens days. Didnt leave a single mark on her. I have no idea how he did it. I scooped her up just in time as she took her last breath. She was sweet, just like her mama.
So now i look to her mom who is days away from hatching her eggs. She set 4 and 2 were clear. I did a quick check when she hopped off and 1 of the two is a quitter. That leaves only 1. Her eggs struggle to make it the whole way. I hope this one makes it for her or im in trouble....watch it be a boy.

Do you see what i see? Pretty sickle feathers coming in!! His last pair were SOOO pretty. They almost dragged the floor!
20190801_165137.jpg

Hes got the prettiest saddle feather too.....

Well, after the d#$% coyote came back yesterday and got one of my baby spitzies, i was upset but feeling real proud of my pup which help chase it off. Today I'm upset and really ticked off at the same pup who just killed my micro chicken Tiny. A female none the less. It was my fault for bringing hime in and getting distracted while doing an overhaul cleaning on the coop, but i thought he was done with his "playing" with the chickens days. Didnt leave a single mark on her. I have no idea how he did it. I scooped her up just in time as she took her last breath. She was sweet, just like her mama.
So now i look to her mom who is days away from hatching her eggs. She set 4 and 2 were clear. I did a quick check when she hopped off and 1 of the two is a quitter. That leaves only 1. Her eggs struggle to make it the whole way. I hope this one makes it for her or im in trouble....watch it be a boy.

Oh no I'm so so sorry for your losses.

It's so hard when a pet kills a bird. Our dogs thankfully haven't but we lost a quail to one of our cats.

Also our great Dane is a bit too fixated on the rabbits, especially the babies. I wouldn't trust her with them at all. She sneaks in the garage though every chance she gets to watch the adults and now the babies and to eat rabbit feed and poo and I don't even want to think of what else.

Oh no I'm so so sorry for your losses.

It's so hard when a pet kills a bird. Our dogs thankfully haven't but we lost a quail to one of our cats.

Also our great Dane is a bit too fixated on the rabbits, especially the babies. I wouldn't trust her with them at all. She sneaks in the garage though every chance she gets to watch the adults and now the babies and to eat rabbit feed and poo and I don't even want to think of what else.
Do you have a pic of your garage setup? I was considering building a stack of cages in our garage for winter...

@Molpet are your poults typically noisy? These four we have are quite noisy today. I finally let them out of of the brooder area with the chickens in the coop and run. I went or to check on them and they are in the run constantly making a chirping/whistling noise. Maybe they feel lost and cannot find the doorway back into the coop? Fortunately, neighbors likely think it's just wild birds making the noise. Afterall, we have a bird condo about 10 feet away up on a tall pole.
Good news is they don't seem to be getting picked on by the chickens. They are sticking together.
Also, the once chicken we managed to hatch thinks its a turkey but is finally getting along with the other chickens too. It refuses to get up on the roosts to sleep though. It prefers to hang out with the turkeys on the ground for now; although that might change now that the turkeys have free reign of tge coop and can get up onto the roosts if they want...

So sorry for your loss
They are playful puppies until they are several years old

@Molpet are your poults typically noisy? These four we have are quite noisy today. I finally let them out of of the brooder area with the chickens in the coop and run. I went or to check on them and they are in the run constantly making a chirping/whistling noise. Maybe they feel lost and cannot find the doorway back into the coop? Fortunately, neighbors likely think it's just wild birds making the noise. Afterall, we have a bird condo about 10 feet away up on a tall pole.
Good news is they don't seem to be getting picked on by the chickens. They are sticking together.
Also, the once chicken we managed to hatch thinks its a turkey but is finally getting along with the other chickens too. It refuses to get up on the roosts to sleep though. It prefers to hang out with the turkeys on the ground for now; although that might change now that the turkeys have free reign of tge coop and can get up onto the roosts if they want...
They can be noisy. Standing next to each other peeping like they are lost. I think they are calling for other turkeys. Mine are starting to move out of different coops and hang together. Poults have all gathered up together for the three years about this time of year.
Although the 3 from the same hatch as yours want to go into the house brooder. They are in a open tractor during the day and too drafty on chilly nights.
The turkey hen that stole a chickens nest after hers failed, has dumped her chicks. The 2 chicks were screaming for her and she ignored them until I tried to grab them. She went back to ignoring them when I stopped. They went in with a chicken broody so I hope they will be ok. I don't think they are 3 wks yet.

Back
Top Bottom