Illinois...

How do you teach them not to fly onto you? This girl is jealous and shoots up to my shoulder when I hold another chicken.
:lau
Yes, that's a problem we had with Trouble. By teaching her to fly up onto our arm when called and rewarding with a treat, we easily trained her.

I admit that I had a terrible "swat" reflex when we first got a flying chicken (My fat orps don't leave the ground, but bantams and Spitzhaubens can fly easily.) It took some trust and training for me as well. Trouble only gets a treat when invited up and lands on a horizontal forearm. There are times when I reach out while cleaning and get a little chicken on my arm. If Trouble lands somewhere else on the body or comes without her name being called, she gets brushed off. No treat.

My son actually likes it when chickens climb on him. He sits in a chair with some scratch and is surrounded in seconds. Now no one can sit in our backyard without being covered in chickens!
IMG_1716.JPG

We also have a particular "chicken call" when we want them to come. DS enjoys calling them and running away, so they will chase him around the yard. Kids and chickens can be very entertaining.

Yup, they will be perfect additions to my flock. I already have an ISA, 2 leghorns, 2 australorps, and 2 barred rocks. I have these girls quarantining in a seperate pen away from my layers currently. I figure I'll live them there for a month or so to shed any cooties they may have and then begin the integration process. Who'd have thought in 2020 I'd be talking about quarantines?! lol

Back
Top Bottom