Illinois...

We lost another duck to a predator today. This winter is getting rough. I trapped the possum already from the last attack. I am wondering if it is another one. There's not much in the way of tracks. I don't think it was a hawk though. The duck was clearly pulled through the picket fence like last time. There was a single puncture wound on the inner thigh and its bill was full of blood. It is possible the neck was broken. There was not a bloody mess this time. Just a few drops and the body was intact. I think the predator came from the fence we share with our neighbor behind us and into the duck run by crossing a debris pile and a few feet of snow covered ground. There was definitely a trail, but the tracks are lost because the snow there is still soft and the legs of the predator dragged through it. It could have been a raccoon or possum. I don't think it was a fox or cat, which would be the only other likely ground predators.

I have the cage trap set again with some scraps of cooked chicken breast as bait.

We are down to just one female duck and our drake. I'm going to need to get Rouens ducklings this year. I'm also planning to better secure the duck run.

Last edited:
We lost another duk to a predator today. This winter is getting rough. I trapped the pain already. I am wondering if it is another one. There's not much in the way of tracks. I don't think it was a hawk though. The duck was clearly pulled through the picket fence like last time. There was a single puncture wound on the inner thigh and its bill was full of blood. It possible the neck was broken. There was not a body mess this time. Just a few drops and the body was intact. I think the predator came from the fence we share with our neighbor behind us and into the duck run by crossing a debris pile and a few feet of snow covered ground. There was definitely a trail, but the tracks are lost because the snow there is still soft and the legs of the predator dragged through it. It could have been a raccoon or possum. I don't think it was a fox or cat, which would be the only other likely ground predators.

I have the cage trap set again with some scraps of cooked chicken breast as bait.

We are down to just one female duck and our drake. I'm going to need to get Rouens ducklings this year. I'm also planning to better secure the duck run.
Sorry for your loss

I am about an hour west of Chicago, and looking to start raising chickens. I'd like to get day old (or close to) chicks. We'd be interested in getting them in the next month or so. We can only have 5. I was looking for speckled sussex, brahma, or australorps.

Welcome to the group! For day old chicks you can either wait just a few weeks until the farm and feed stores start their chick days or get them shipped from a hatchery.

They say 2"-4". It looks like that may be a low estimate. Photo just doesn't do it justice though. It's really coming down here.
20210204_130107.jpg

I am about an hour west of Chicago, and looking to start raising chickens. I'd like to get day old (or close to) chicks. We'd be interested in getting them in the next month or so. We can only have 5. I was looking for speckled sussex, brahma, or australorps.
I have light brahma and black australorp. They are very friendly chickens. What will be your purpose of getting chickens? Eggs, ornaments, friends?

They say 2"-4". It looks like that may be a low estimate. Photo just doesn't do it justice though. It's really coming down here.
View attachment 2515867
Yes the plow went by while I was watching a FB live from the Manhattan weather channel. He was saying no snow yet but I got an alert that high precipitation was nearby. I looked at the radar and there was a small blob over us but not manhattan

Back
Top Bottom