Illinois...

What variety of bush cherry ? Mine are disappointing so far . Carmine jewel . Mine ripen early June .
That's mine. "Carmine Jewel Dwarf Cherry Bush" was what it was called. Nothing for 1st 3 years. Just a handful. Year 5 we could actually make a couple pies. It got A LOT bigger than it's supposed to. We need a ladder to pick. That would be my only complaint. Perhaps I should have trimmed it.

The cherry bush survived some pretty extreme winters.... not to mention the year when the city decided to replace gas line and dug right through its roots. We thought it was going to die when over half the tree went brown - no cherries that year. Last year it snowed for several days after blossoming - not many last year either. This year we had some snow during blossoming but it didn't stick around. I probably did more damage by trying to cover it. LOL

You live a little south of me, so perhaps your harvest time is earlier. I'm happy with mine. It's a mature tree now and the harvest continues to get larger.

We also have chicks hatching. This little serama has been sitting in an empty box for over a week, so I decided to put the incubator babies under her. She seems happy but maybe a little confused. It's her 1st time being broody, so she doesn't know any better.

7 quail
2 orpingtons (a 3rd is hatching)
2 serama
1 turkey
busy mama.jpg

We also have chicks hatching. This little serama has been sitting in an empty box for over a week, so I decided to put the incubator babies under her. She seems happy but maybe a little confused. It's her 1st time being broody, so she doesn't know any better.

7 quail
2 orpingtons (a 3rd is hatching)
2 serama
1 turkey
View attachment 2738357
LOL no wonder she is confused 😂

Hi!! Weird, I haven't gotten any notifications for thread updates and somehow this one fell off my watched threads or something. How is everyone doing with all this rain? I am seriously over it! My zucchini is taking over the world and my chickens are angry. Dogs are muddy, floors are dirty and I am tired of cleaning it all. Spring time in the midwest, I guess!

Hi!! Weird, I haven't gotten any notifications for thread updates and somehow this one fell off my watched threads or something. How is everyone doing with all this rain? I am seriously over it! My zucchini is taking over the world and my chickens are angry. Dogs are muddy, floors are dirty and I am tired of cleaning it all. Spring time in the midwest, I guess!
You were toooooo close for comfort during those tornado storms :hugs

You were toooooo close for comfort during those tornado storms :hugs

I was at a swim meet and we had to evacuate about 300 swimmers to safety (and get their parents from the parking lot into safety since the venue still isn't allowing spectators) and all I kept thinking was "somebody at home better be checking on my chickens!!!!!!" We had the one last Monday and then another on Saturday. I know it's the season and all, but can we be done now?

Welcome back!

Oops! You just reminded me I need to check my garden. I had a small zucc a couple days ago. I probably have a zucchini log by now.

I know what you mean about the muddy everything. Chickens don't seem to mind, though. My Tillie actually loves digging for worms. I think it's a Leghorn thing. The turkeys don't always sit under the tree or return to the coop when it rains. They spend most of their days sitting on top of the bantam tractor. Today one was literally laying in a puddle on top of the chicken tractor's roof.

I've stopped getting notifications before too. It seems if you go inactive for a period of time it kicks you out.
And I was just thinking the same thing....... suddenly we get spring rain?!?!

Hope everyone is well and dry as can be. Major car maintenance, camping trips, and 65 hour work weeks have had me swamped lately.
Caught a possum that was sneaking in Somehow and eating me eggs. Did the deed but had to leave for work and just left him out. This morning I walk out to a Turkey vulture in the yard for the meal. Wish I could have gotten a better picture.
20210630_100205.jpg

Back
Top Bottom