Illinois...

Berries are about all my chickens eat when they're outside right now. :lol:

Does anyone here have any started pullets near Charleston, IL? Bonus points if it's blue laced red wyandottes.
Mine can't keep up eating them as fast as the tree is dropping them..... but they're sure trying!

I could probably spare some pullets: a laced or lav orpington, some white leghorns, silkied seramas and an olive egger ..... but we live about 3 hours away.

@Molpet
Thought you might like to see your "babies"
IMG_7496 (2).jpg

I kicked them out of the bantam tractor weeks ago, but they still want to go in with their serama mama. (or maybe just the free food. LOL)
..... and, Yes, that's a pink silkie in the tractor.
IMG_7522 (2).jpg

IMG_7508 (2).jpg

My turkeys have never been very bright, so I made sure to keep an orpington hatch-mate to help them learn important life skills. I thought I had picked out a lav male. The plan was for a turkey tutor and a future chicken dinner. This chick had big pink wattles.

Now .... this chick has neither comb nor wattle development. Just turned 9 weeks old today. Oops, I think it's another girl.
IMG_7504 (2).jpg

Mr. Squeaky (I think he's the keeper.... at least for now) Teddy is still king serama, but on holiday in the house with the house chickens. Squeaky is more of a back up plan.
IMG_7519 (2).jpg

Mr. Mediocre Man (also known as Mr. "Pathetic" due to his tiny raspy crow. Honestly, he'd make a good house chicken with that funny crow) He broke off his sickle feathers, so that's another reason to call him Pathetic. He's for sale if anyone wants a funny-looking, pathetic-sounding, "useless chicken."
Medium Man.jpg

Lastly, anyone have some experience sexing silkies?

Hatched March 30-April1

Big one:
(narrow walnut comb, doesn't stand tall, doesn't chest bump, friendly, loves to cuddle, sometimes crest looks round.... other times I fear I see streamers) Did I mention it's bigger!?
IMG_7584 (2).jpg
IMG_7583 (2).jpg
IMG_7586 (2).jpg

IMG_7580 (2).jpg

Small one:
(had very slow growth and feather development, possible development delay, finally getting a crest, slightly timid)
IMG_7597 (2).jpg
IMG_7604 (2).jpg

Some pics to compare side by side

IMG_7619 (2).jpg

Big is actually sitting, & Small is standing
IMG_7625 (2).jpg
IMG_7633 (2).jpg
IMG_7638 (2).jpg

@Molpet
Thought you might like to see your "babies"
View attachment 2735266

I kicked them out of the bantam tractor weeks ago, but they still want to go in with their serama mama. (or maybe just the free food. LOL)
..... and, Yes, that's a pink silkie in the tractor.
View attachment 2735268
View attachment 2735288

My turkeys have never been very bright, so I made sure to keep an orpington hatch-mate to help them learn important life skills. I thought I had picked out a lav male. The plan was for a turkey tutor and a future chicken dinner. This chick had big pink wattles.

Now .... this chick has neither comb nor wattle development. Just turned 9 weeks old today. Oops, I think it's another girl.
View attachment 2735283
Sweeties 💜

No chicken dinner there, someone will buy her I am sure.
No idea on silkies, they sure are funny looking chickens 😂

Rain, rain, rain... I know we need it, but I'm over it now. Forecast says rain all week. Grass needs to be cut, i want to go fishing, garden needs a little work, lower patio its in the middle of construction, need to clean the garage out, need to work on the older car... I cannot get anything done in this rain. I'm going to try to knock out the garage at least...

Rain, rain, rain... I know we need it, but I'm over it now. Forecast says rain all week. Grass needs to be cut, i want to go fishing, garden needs a little work, lower patio its in the middle of construction, need to clean the garage out, need to work on the older car... I cannot get anything done in this rain. I'm going to try to knock out the garage at least...
I know what you mean. I got half of my yard cut Wednesday, but the other half -which includes my chicken pastures- didn't get it. I can't wait until next weekend!! Although I will say the wind picked up quite a bit. I'm hoping the rain this afternoon will hold off and maybe, just maybe I can get the back cut some.....

@Molpet here are some pics of my turkey pair. They are wild and I can't get close for good pics.

20210626_085802.jpg
20210626_085755.jpg
20210626_085732.jpg
20210626_085730.jpg

I know what you mean. I got half of my yard cut Wednesday, but the other half -which includes my chicken pastures- didn't get it. I can't wait until next weekend!! Although I will say the wind picked up quite a bit. I'm hoping the rain this afternoon will hold off and maybe, just maybe I can get the back cut some.....

@Molpet here are some pics of my turkey pair. They are wild and I can't get close for good pics.

View attachment 2735804View attachment 2735806View attachment 2735807View attachment 2735808
mine are wild too... especially the ones being raised by the wilder ones from 2 years ago. I don't even know how many are left. should be 12 from may and 6 from June. 2 from the end of may are in the house because they got lost.

Back
Top Bottom