Illinois...

Mr. Squeaky:
(He thinks he's such a hunk.)
IMG_7851 (2).jpg
IMG_7853 (2).jpg

I like the sun in this one but not the clarity. I'll have to try again tomorrow.
IMG_7865 (2).jpg

So this is a 3 month old lav Orpington and it looks like she has a crazy cowlick-her feather pattern is just messy. And some of her feathers always look patchy, ruffled and curled. Is this normal? My buff Orpington looks perfect, every feather in just the right place. This one always looks like this, especially with the cowlick on the left of her neck :D Could she have the frizzle gene and it be coming thru? I don't care, I'm just curious. I think it's a recessive gene so it could have snuck into the hatchery unnoticed.
https://youtube.com/shorts/sRSn0k4jLpc?feature=share
x2 on what others have said about the lav gene. However, sometimes feathers will look bad now but then improve when they finally get adult plumage. One year I feared the cockerels I was growing out had split wing, but something about the crazy weather affected their feather growth.

..... This year I am having different problems with my cockerels. I kept one black/lav split. He's OK and could be a breeder, but he's got strong competition with my current lav rooster (who's a real sweetheart). So far he's got the body, but not the comb. Doubtful he'll stay long term. I also kept a lav orp as a companion for my turkeys. I kept the biggest chick who had some little pink wattles. I thought it was a male and planned to process him when the time came. Oops! My little cockerel is a pullet. She's very friendly too. I seriously don't need another lav. (Why can't my black/lav split female be that friendly?!)

Last edited:
😍

I'm so happy for you!!! (#3 right?)
Can't wait to meet her in person. What does Ranger think?
Ranger likes her well enough right now. He was trying to get her to chase him once we got home. We took a side detour to starved rock on the way home. Found a lovely off the path canyon to let her and Ranger explore. Peaceful and quiet. Not a soul followed us back there. But it was like holding a hot furry potato on the way up and down.
20210705_140745.jpg

Checking out the ferns here.

Consider flowers from seeds. or rescues flowers from homecenter clearance racks.
I have no suggestions on eatable items, since many wont mature, and many don't tolerate the intense warmth now.
@BReeder! has green thumbs,,, lets hear his suggestions :old :thumbsup
I appreciate that you think so highly of my abilities. Not so sure I completely agree with your judgement, but I try. :)

@jdragonwings generally speaking we have two months of growing season left just. Radishes, bunching onions, and lettuce come to mind. You could get a longer season with cold hardy plants though. My mind goes to kale, brussel sprouts, spinach, and cabbage (try for a shorter season variety). The heat this time of year can be a problem, but a bit of shade can help. If the plot gets shade during the middle of the day it helps. If not, shade cloth is an option. Another thought is perennial plants. You may be able to get hardy perennials like thyme, asparagus, or strawberries to develop enough to survive the winter and come back strong in the Spring. If you go with perennials, focus on root and leaf development and pinch any flowers or runners that would redirect energy needed for roots to develop. A root hormone would help too in getting them off to a good start.

Back
Top Bottom